Old Turntable, Need Advice....

I

Ideal

(I asked this in the 'sampling' forum, but I got no views so I decided to move the conversation here.)

Whats going on guys,

I have an AIWA PX-E77 Turntable that was given to me by my late grandfather in addition to some records. It's an old Belt-Drive Turntable that seems to be unused, has only RCA Male cables as well as a power cord for connections and it looks to be part of a stereo set that he had at one point. The needle seems to be unused, so I guess that's good.

I don't know much about turntables, and I've looked through countless forums about my specific Turntable and similar ones for help. I really couldn't get a definitive answer, so I'm coming here for help. I want to ask this: should I keep this item and either upgrade the stylus and/or cartridge in order to get the best sound out of the turntable or should I get rid of this and look for a more up to date turntable? Keep in mind that, I don't want to scratch the vinyl; I just want to replay it back into my DAW via my Mbox 3 Mini.

Thanks.

(Another Question - With general Turntable set-ups, is it wise to invest in a RCA Female to 1/4 Plug (Mono) or a (Stereo) cable?)

Appreciate the help.

Lot's of questions there. Setup fundamentals are the same for all tables. Weight, anti-skate and tonearm height are easily adjusted. You don't need any additional cables. Is there not a ground wire in there, or perhaps attached with the RCAs? What kind of phono pre-amp are you using?

I am of the opinion that listening to vinyl trumps listening to digital almost every time. There's just something about listening to a record. This having been said, it's not exactly premium kit you have there. Maybe just play a few records and see if you are into it. If you find yourself falling in love, get a better unit. You can score entry-level audiophile tables for $300. Or a Tech 1200 for about the same. Very good solid state phono stages can be had for $65. If you really fall for it, pretty soon you'll find yourself with $5K in analog audio gear, if you're lucky. Acoustic Sounds.com has an amazing selection.

Yes, bottom line-- If it works and sounds good, use it. Don't just get a USB TT because they make them; get one if you need one. They are generally convenient, but not built like TT's of old. I have a little Numark for previewing records in the library, and for portability if I need to add any vinyl to the DJ rig, but in the studio control room its Technics.

BTW, as the poster above mentioned, make sure that you have a grounding wire. If there isn't one with the Aiwa, pick one up at Radio Shack or your nearest audio retail store (I think they even have that stuff in pro audio at Guitar Center). If the TT isn't grounded properly, it will sound like doo-dy. Also, you'll need a phono preamp (unless you are going through a mixer that already has phono inputs).

GJ

If you can hear the turntable it will work just keep an eye on that belt as it will stretch over time. I prefer direct drives myself but a free turntable is a free turntable just make sure you get the proper amp so that it will play at line level

Back