noob question: scratching

dc0usa

so i was just wondering if its necessary to buy a mixer with a deck in order to scratch. i'm not planning to dj, but i was hoping to scratch a little on my tracks. is it possible to use a plain usb turntable to scratch records?

Well, you can "scratch" with just a turntable, but you can't "cut". You'd be able to rub the record back and forth, you just couldn't affect the volume. It's kind of hard to explain without going into a tutorial on scratching... If you just want to get that "wikki-wikki" sound or the sound of a DJ scratching a bass kick, you can do it without a mixer, but that's about all you'll be able to do. Er... actually there's a whole slew of "faderless scratches" but you have to be pretty serious about scratching to do those with any competence, so if you could scratch that way you'd already be a pretty good turntablist and definitely already have a mixer.

Sorry if this is kind of confusing, it's sort of a loaded question...

if you wanna just scratch. no mixing and ****, then just buy 1 turntable and 1 mixer. you can use an iPod or something to plays beats off.

also you pay for what you buy. try to get a numark TT-500 turntable and a vestax PMC-06 mixer. these two items aren't that cheap, but it's the lowest you can go without buying crap products.

in the long run, cheaper products will break on you.

payce

without a mixer theres a bunch of scratches you cant do, flare,crab,baby, etc theres waaaaayyy to many techniques you cannot do without a mixer

I'd say you have to do it right. If you want to scratch sick then you have to have a nice mixer. Vestax and a technique is standard. A usb turntable is just to play records on. you'll mess up the needle and your records if you get crazy on it. You can also just have someone dope scratch on your ish. That way you won't waste doe on something you really don't want to get that much into.

yes sir...

Back