New Year Eve GIG ?

Viper983

Well I will be haveing my first gig at this bar on New Years Eve LOL what a time to start at a bar. Oh well I think I should be ok, I have done plenty of parties at my brothers and a few other house parties.
My question is for Dj's that have done new years eve gigs is what do you do around midnight. I have been thinking about this whether I just kind of keep on playing music or do somthing speacial. I was thinking about doing some kind of count down maybe in a song but not really knowing what songs to play after or what. I have heard some cool techno songs but where I will be playing, I don't think techno will be liked.

Hey there, good luck with that!

Im still learning so i cant really help you out with the DJ side of that, but as a punter on NYE i would be a bit dissapointed if 12 went by without recognition.

Never really done a New Years gig, but I think you'd be safe to just take a moment to acknowledge the new year, give the couples there time to get their little kiss in, and keep the party jumping. Line up a few tracks you know people are going to like, and play them one after another to start off the new year in a good way.

And if your instincts tell you techno would be a bad choice, stay away from techno. You're there for the people's enjoyment, not your own.

Good luck.

Peace!

mix into an instrumental count down the new year starting at about a minute before, and then mix right into the next song.

You meen have a minute count down with a instrumental in the back ground?? is that to long. Also any good new years eve songs to play after.

My buddy played Ice T's "Let's Get Buck Naked (And F&*K)" right after New Years. Needless to say, he and his much abused bar tab aren't back there this year!

You have to recognise the New Year. Everyone in that bar will be expecting it and it's a big moment, so finish you last song 10-15 seconds before midnight and try and get some cool vocal countdown. Let everyone countdown with it. There all just gonna be cheering and stuff anyway at 12 so dont worry about the music, then after it's calmed down play some more music preferably with a nice intro (or add your own) and something a bit more energetic now to celebrate. The party only really begins at midnight.

did a drum and bass nigh about 6 years ago on new years!! right on the few seconds befor i droped!!

10,9,8,7,6,5,4...3,2, murder 1 lyrics at your door!! from 6 million ways!!

if you have a mic!! do a bit of a request thing!! see what the punters want!! getting people involved in it can be a good idea!!

are you at a pub a club or what??

another one that worked for me is simon says!! with the phat orchestral intro!!

just get summit that you feel will work, line a couple up and see what works through the night and play it by ear!!

i do know filly where your at though and it does make you want to do something a bit extra ordinary,

were doing a hip hop gig and were just gunna mince a few tunes up battle stylee, we worked on this 5 min set for the last month and its sounding mint!! so as long as they keep to their promis of organising 6 dex we will be able to pull it out the bag!!

just keep it fresh!!

I was almost thinking of just useing a traditional newyears song right after the countdown and cheers and then go back into dance stuff. Speacially if it is a older crowd.

well you didnt actually mention what or where you playing!! or if you did i missed it!

if its an older crowd i would just keep it like you said!!

take a few sutable tunes and play it by ear!!

Sorry I thought I said in the begining. It is in a bar that has always had rock live bands, and the owner has decided to change it to a dj. I am guessing for a while it will be a little mixture of younger people and people in there late 20's early 30's. But he want to get younger people in there. He wants a little mixture of rock and dance. I probally will play a little new rock, mixed with some new R&B and top 40's with some classic rock,mainly classic rock mixes that I have.

you might want to try and get your hands on some new breaks!! you know what o mean? sorta mix between house n big beat, sorta 130-140 bpm, remixes of alsorts, killers, hendrix etc as well as the usual stuff that you would expect, simular kinga beats as freesytlers stuff but with a more eclectic variation of possabilities!!

Back