New Tech 1200's - Setup with Shure Whitelabel

dj_owl

Whats up everyone,

So I've finally gotten my hands on the real deal and picked up a set of 1200's with Shure Whitelabel cartridges and Serato. I have been using a DDJ-SR controller for a few years but this is my first chance at spending any significant amount of time on a vinyl setup.

Since the gear was used I did my research and checked what to watch out for when buying used. The decks are visibly in good condition, pitch is calibrated correctly, cables are good, one tone arm appears to work the way it should (according to youtube) but the other doesn't really swing much when I adjust anti-skip. I don't think the previous owner did much scratching and he had each deck setup a bit different.

After reading over the manual for the cartridges I adjusted the counter weight and tone arm height and began playing around. Playback seems fine but I notice sometimes when I scratch there is a bit of skipping and I swear I can smell something if I'm scratching for awhile. Its not like a burning smell but maybe the record or the needle wearing?

From what I've read the tone arm should be level when the needle is on the record but even with the height at 0 there is still a bit of downward slope. I did some reading and it said to try it around 3mm which I currently have it set to. I have tried the counter weight at 2.5 to 3.5 g's which it suggests in the manual.

I really don't want to damage anything and can't seem to find a definitive answer on how to have these setup so I was looking for some advice. If anyone has experience with these cartridges or has any general advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Its not exactly a burning smell and its very mild. It smells like if you held the vinyl up to your nose but I'm not holding it up to my face.

I'm not sure what you mean by is it rock steady? Do you mean is it level or is everything working correctly?

I mean does the table/desk that your gear is on wobble at all when you scratch? And I mean at all

I don't think so its pretty solid. I played a bit today and it seemed ok but I will check on the wobble.

As far as the smell I figured it out.....If I am back cueing the record a long distance and the platter starts to move backwards at a fast speed that seems to bring the smell. I think I may need new slip mats as these are pretty warn and don't slip that well.

I am assuming the platter shouldn't move too much when you are scratching / back spinning?

The platter shouldn't move AT ALL when scratching etc. Buy some butter rugs, magic carpets, or sewer slimes.

If your platter is spinning back something is very wrong. You're not using the thick rubber mats that they come with are you?

No no one is a technics mat and the other is a random one with an alien on it. They are definitely old and I'm not sure if the other guy even scratched. I thought that this was strange after watching some videos.

I think I had a bit of a heavy hand as well at first but have learned I don't really have to push down. I hope I haven't damaged anything....they seem to still be spinning at the correct speed when I watch the tempo in serato and listen to the playback.

Look at the strobe dots on the platter (red light section). They shouldn't change when u scratch

Made a quick video showing whats happening. Apparently I have to have 5 posts before I can post the link so I'll post under this.

A friend of mine thats been DJ'in for years also suggested putting a wax paper cut out between my slipmat and the platter. I gave this a shot and it definitely helped a bit on one of them and a little on the other.

Ok let me take one more of me actually pulling back on the record. Maybe everything is as it should be.

Both decks are fine. Are you still getting a boring smell? Is the needle still skipping?

The smell seems like its normal.....when I run them awhile and put my face right up to the table it has a very faint smell. I don't think its anything to be concerned about because I ran them for 6 hours the other day and didn't notice anything changing with how they were functioning.

The needle still seems to bounce sometimes on the one deck but I also noticed the Serato Vinyl that came with it is bowled. The one with the bad vinyl also is the one that will stop the platter completely if I try to do a big back spin. I am assuming this is because the bowled side is down and its just grabbing the platter.

Glad everything looked ok from the videos. I appreciate your help.

Do you have experience with the Shure Whitelabels?

Yes warped vinyl sounds like the problem. Should contact serato if you only just got them. No experience with white labels but lots with serato dj

Unfortunately they came used with the setup so I'll have to pick up new ones.

Any advice on what vinyl to grab? I'm using an SL1 and see that there is the performance series, regular, version 2.5 etc....

Checked this out and picked up a pair.

Not very happy as the vinyl is pretty bowled. The guy at the shop claims that side A is a "slick side" and the edges of the record should be tilted up (like a very very shallow bowl) but this causes the needle to jump when I do a fast scratch or backspin. If I flip it to be because of the warp it really grips the platter like the old vinyl.

Is this normal or whats the story?

Back