New to Philly

djmnemonic

Whatup everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a couple yrs now. Real good tips and feedback from everyone.

I just moved to Philly a few months ago and I'm trying to get hooked into the DJ scene. I'm spinning Friday nights for a new lounge around 12th and Sansom. (www.rawlounge.net) I play mainly hiphop w/ some mashup but i started out a trance, breaks, and house dj.

Throw me a reply or stop by the lounge (i'm playing 12/09 and 12/16). Love to meet some of u.

Anyone else spinning in Philly? Any good clubs / DJs to check out? (I've heard Touchtone on the radio, dude is fire)

-John

hey djmnemonic

I too am from Philly. Just graduated from Temple where I having been spinning for the past couple years. i have recently gotten into a lot more now that I am only working and can focuss more of my time on it. I would like to take what has been more of a hoby of mine to the next level with more gigs. i have on occasions had a few gigs in the city, but would like to get something a little more steady. Anything you could help me out with?

Sure man, I just graduated from college too. Been spinning frat parties and stuff. Funny thing is, my regular gig pays less than I was making at school, haha.

Where do u live in Philly? I'm in West Chester.

What kind of music do you spin? How long? My general advice is keep practicing and make a bunch of flawless mix tapes that are 40 min or an hour long packed full of as many tricks you can throw into them. Making mix tapes and recording yourself really lets you see what you're good at and what you suck at. I thought I was the ish at beat juggling till I tried to put it into a mix tape.

But that's it, practice, record, listen, repeat. And try to pass out mix tapes, play out and get noticed as much as possible.

btw, does anyone know what the going rate for a night in Philly is?

-John

Yea I was the same way. i did a weekly gig at a frat party while in school for about 2 years. I worked on South Street a few times but nothing consistant. With working a fulltime job during the week it makes it somewhat difficult to work during the week nights when you dont get home untill after 2. I'm not too sure of the rates for a night out in philly. I have never work at a club here only a few bar/lounges. I live in Fishtown right now. are you using vinyl or CDJ?

When and where are you working next?

Hey guys, I'm in philly as well at penn. Been on a break djing for a while cause of school and stuff but I'm looking to get back into it (ie transferring to an easier major haha). good advice here guys, maybe i'll see you around.

Sweet. Nice to know there's some other fps in Philly.

I'm playing this friday and next friday at Raw Lounge (just opened). www.rawlounge.net. Its on sansom st between 12th and 13th. Its deck out pretty nice so come check it out if you're free.

I used to spin vinyl but I use serato scratch now.

Knox, what do you play and how long have you been spinning? Maybe I can hook you up with something if I come across a gig.

Back