My First Gig(the Owner Told Me I Sucked!!!!)

jonnykash

I HAD MY FIRST GIG TONIGHT ANY THING THAT COULD GO WRONG WENT WRONG. MY RECORDS KEPT SKIPPING,SOME DUMB COME UP TO ME TO ASK ME TO PLAY YOUNG JEEZY THAN STEPS ON MY POWERCORD AND CUTS THE POWER REAL NICE. IM REALLY CONFUSED THOUGH DESPITE MY MISHAPS THE DANCE FLOOR WAS PACKED. I PLAYED HIT RECORD AFTER HIT RECORD. MY DREAM CAME ALL THE LADIES WERE FLIRTING WITH ME.FOR SHORT TIME I HAD A FAN CLUB.UNTILL THIS CUTIE DROPPED A BOMB ON ME AND TOLD THE OWNER OF THE CLUB SAID I SUCKED.DAMN!!!!!LONG STORY SHORT I CONFRONTED HIM AND HE GAVE ME SOME BULL**** STORY HOW IT WAS COOL I PLAYED HOT RECORDS BUT HE DIDNT LIKE MY MIXING. AND IM LIKE WELL YOUR IN HOUSE DJ SUCKS BALLS TO, THE NERVE RIGHT??? HES LIKE I KNOW BUT HE DOSENT LIKE CONTINOUS MIXING. WHAT THE HELL IS HE TALKING ABOUT??? ANYWAY ILL ELABORATE MORE I HAVE TO GOTO BED IM MAD AS ALL HELL RIGHT NOW!!!

jonnykash said:
HES LIKE I KNOW BUT HE DOSENT LIKE CONTINOUS MIXING. WHAT THE HELL IS HE TALKING ABOUT??? ANYWAY ILL ELABORATE MORE I HAVE TO GOTO BED IM MAD AS ALL HELL RIGHT NOW!!!

Should have asked him...what the hell does that mean???

But it's good to get all ya mistakes out the way, but rest assured that there will be more to come.

But if the crowd is feelin it...fuk him!!!

man.. a couple weeks ago i djed in front of my friends at a club for the first time (i've been djing in public for over a year and a half now) and the mixer and turntables died on me! there was no music for like 15 mins, but it felt like an hour.. i guess every DJ has his day.. haha im definitely sound checking all equipment before hand even if i am no the starting DJ.

jonnykash said:
I HAD MY FIRST GIG TONIGHT ANY THING THAT COULD GO WRONG WENT WRONG. MY RECORDS KEPT SKIPPING,SOME DUMB COME UP TO ME TO ASK ME TO PLAY YOUNG JEEZY THAN STEPS ON MY POWERCORD AND CUTS THE POWER REAL NICE. IM REALLY CONFUSED THOUGH DESPITE MY MISHAPS THE DANCE FLOOR WAS PACKED. I PLAYED HIT RECORD AFTER HIT RECORD. MY DREAM CAME ALL THE LADIES WERE FLIRTING WITH ME.FOR SHORT TIME I HAD A FAN CLUB.UNTILL THIS CUTIE DROPPED A BOMB ON ME AND TOLD THE OWNER OF THE CLUB SAID I SUCKED.DAMN!!!!!LONG STORY SHORT I CONFRONTED HIM AND HE GAVE ME SOME BULL**** STORY HOW IT WAS COOL I PLAYED HOT RECORDS BUT HE DIDNT LIKE MY MIXING. AND IM LIKE WELL YOUR IN HOUSE DJ SUCKS BALLS TO, THE NERVE RIGHT??? HES LIKE I KNOW BUT HE DOSENT LIKE CONTINOUS MIXING. WHAT THE HELL IS HE TALKING ABOUT??? ANYWAY ILL ELABORATE MORE I HAVE TO GOTO BED IM MAD AS ALL HELL RIGHT NOW!!!

Damn, dude. I'm sorry you had to go through that...

But who the f*ck puts their power cord in a spot where someone can step on it, and cut the power to the whole rig?

You should have reamed the owner for that one...besides the fact that he was lying straight to your face.

Just use it for inspiration, man. Work on your mixing skills, and the next time you play a gig, just remember your mistakes.

At least you got a good story to tell your children out of it...:p

Peace!

You gotta tape your stuff down man ! Esp. chords ! At least he didn't pull down your equipment...

Keep at it man...everybody bombs a gig.

About the ladies flirting...don't get excited...they were probably just sloppy drunk. :D

But seriously...don't sweat it...gigs are a dime a dozen... !

As for your needles skipping...its going to happen a lot in the clubs w/ the system on blap...so check these:

c81bc75d.jpg

Its called FREEFLOAT...looks corny, but they work pretty well as far as skip prevention.

Never down the house dj outright, it is amateurish and will not win anyone over. You need to sell yourself, you are a product afterall

I don't thing anyone expects to do perfect their first gig, they just expect to give it all they have, and if you did that then, that's really all that matters. The first few gigs are major learning experiences so in a way, be thankful that some of that ish happened so you know what to correct next time. I mean, if anyone thinks nothing went wrong, or that something could of been better their first gig then they're lying to themselves. Be critical of your performances.

thats sods law every dude has his day once (when i first stared) i did not start the gig until it was half an hour later because i forgot to turn the fing speakers on. dont let it dishearten you you can't please every one. :)

what's up? man dont bugg'd out. hopefully, you got some good sleep, and keep doing your thing. if you believe in you and your music, it will come through... as the great curtis and then calvin says, "keep on pushing". all djs have their nights...

so what is the majority of your mixes?

yo - **** happens...but i wouldnt sweat the comment from the club owner.
in my experiences - owners, promoters, managers ect can be overly testy at times. im not saying is justified...im just saying welcome to clubland.
oh- and congratulations on your first gig. good or bad its a big step. if the crowd was jumpin and you were feelin it - thats alllll that matters ;)
n

thanx everyone for their positive responses. i have every intention of keeping it moving. i do admit though i need to upgrade some things. like get rid of my behringer mixer and head phones. asap ill be getting a stanton or possibly numark mixer. hiphouse:my mixes are hiphop,r-n-b,reggae,crunk,and party trax(fatman scoop,dj cool,etc).
mackone:haha very funny!!!only one girl was pissy drunk! she kept asking me to play the electric slide. whats up with that???!! ill check out those free floats.
anyway like i said i plan to keep it moving im working on 2 gigs. a few people want to mess with me even i told them situation they didnt seem to care so its all good. also im thinking about renting a club in atlantic city and do my thing. sorta like an office party except im going to promote it everywhere featuring me on turntables one's and two's and a half(cdj's).thanx again holla!!!!!

Dude, its a classic story. Everyone has a story like that. I could tell you some storys about wack equipment and drunk sluts.

i rarely talk to anyone while I am spinning - i just want to get the job done and enjoy playing the music, i mean, thats what I am there to do and what I am getting paid for - to hell if people want to talk for a long time, you got a job to do, they can wait until after the set.

its bad that you had a bad night, it happens to everyone at some point. keep spinnin' though...

jonnykash said:
I PLAYED HIT RECORD AFTER HIT RECORD
Please keep in mind that this isn't always suitable. It's more about reading your audience; after all, you're supposed to be catering to them. For instance, if they look tired, throw on a lil something more mellow. If your crowd looks thin, play something for the ladies. I usually never play hit after hit, I kinda pace myself; you can't give up the goods that easily. Learn how to control the crowd. Also, you should understand that clearing the floor (intentionally) isn't always a bad thing because that's how the clubs make their money: when people leave the floor to buy drinks. And like someone else mentioned, don't sh*t on the resident DJ. It's no good. =)

yeah I agree and teach this at conventions. Playing hit after hit doesn't take talent, anyone can do that. Your job is to make the bar money, you need to know how to rotate a floor and program a night. This will make you a standout DJ and valuable to owners/managers

Bingo ! I don't usually start throwing on the really hot stuff until about 11-ish to midnight..let the crowd get their drank on. If they didn't already do so in the car before coming in. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
glad that the message gets out on this sight!!!

dont play tune after tune!! fluctuate the groove and tempo, this caters for than one breed!!!

everyone can play a bunch of old skool classics which everyone knows and then plough throughtheir selection of AV8 but this will just make you what i would class as someone simular to a manchester united or liverpool supporter!! glory boy!!!!

i really love to drop in some rare grooves and clips from some of the real old r n b, especially them bits which are reused and resued!! sorta same sorta thing tha dj riz is famouse for!!

the harshes night i think ive had is some gimp of a dj lest me with one working needle!! i think he just needed a replacement for himself so he ran off with it!! which made for an interesting start of the set, with some real fast record changes using the eqs for feed back effects during the breaks!! i wouldnt suggest doing it much unless you know what your doing, and after 3 records done like this, people are giving you some reet nasty looks!!

and the other one was just being to p'ssed up to see, let alone mix or hold records!! but they asked me back for more... and i still got praise for doing a "heavy set maan"

if its a first!! just remember, there will be a second and a third, i always take my 2 sets of needles and my slip mats and adjust all the weights to how i like them,

and yeh, someone said, dont diss the house dj's, they might suck, but you never sell a product by slating another!!

thats all just a learning curve!!

keep it real dowg!!

http://www.arkade.com/default.aspx?a=Two_Dawgs

Back