My first doo!!

L

Laura

Hi. I have my first doo on Christmas Eve and was wondering if anyone has any advice for me?? I am slightly concerned about how different it is going to sound as obviously I am only used to hearing my music from bedroom speakers and not club speakers! Is this going to make a difference? Also I only have a basic 2 channel mixer and am worried that the mixer I have to use is going to be a lot more complex. Any advice for my 1st public appearance would be appreciated!!

Cheers all

P.S Is everyone on here from the USA?? Anyone from the UK?

don't worry about it

now to Xmas is hell of a long way away in mixing terms,
1. how is your beat mixing?
2. practise daily
3. record yourself so u hear ur mistakes

nearly all mixers are the same it just takes some to go over it first before u play, be family with the knobs switches and slides and their functions, so if u can spend 10 to 15 minutes playing with the mixer first and have a warm up.

It's good to use various equipment as u become less reliable on your own setup and more on club system.

Try a few small gigs first or stuff as many friends in your bedroom to listen to u play, that how i got my confidence up to play to a big crowd.

Also don't worry about mistakes I mean everyone does them, just keep the correcting them as u mix, u'll be fine

Any more advice e-mail me or icq me (check my profile)

About the speaker system, it will feel different especially if the room is big (but usually you'll get a monitor then). It'll feel awkward at first (cuz of the reverberations), but after some tunes, you'll be accomodated already.

About the equipment, ade is completely right. All the mixers have the same basic functions (sometimes some functions have other names like gain=trim, but the knobs will be at the same place), so you'll accomodate easily (I'd say as fast as you accomodate to the PA system). Again ade is right by saying you shouldn't be familiar only with one sort of equipment. It's very rare clubs or gig systems are the same as yours (unless you have big bux and the reference equipment like Pioneers, etc...). Glance at the equipment at first and you'll recognize a lot that's on your one too.

One thing I must add is that you shouldn't be nervous. I know it's easy to say, you'll be a tad nervous on your first gig. But don't forget the crowd comes to have fun, and so do you, so why risk messing up cuz you're a wreck. I don't know about you, but I always mix a lot better under pressure, in my opinion the more you are relaxed, the smoother your mixes will be. Play for and with the crowd.

true

just sit back and enjoy u'll find the mixes just flowing, i still get a little nervous but once I see the crowd go mad its easy, u get in a groove and there is no stoping u.

thanks Thy for the similar opinion :)

Re: true

ade said:
...u get in a groove and there is no stoping u

Don't you feel like the king of the world reading this quote :D hehe
Great input guys

Hey guys thanks for all your help and advice. I'll keep practising and let you know how it goes!

Back