My DMC Online entry

Bump
I forgot the DMC online was going on. I'll sign on and give you a 5 star as your routines are always great. I also like your sh$t talking from a few months ago on scratch forum (i think) about all the button pressers, granted your not pressing buttons you still programed the mix to make a routine using serato. which you were b$tching about, or maybe it was on one of your youtube replies, Hypocrite?
Either way good shit. You have my vote.

haha thanks for checking, and respect for the vote!

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but I was probably talking about heavily edited routines that use production to drive them instead of patterns (hence last year I had the "patterns over production" shirt). I edit my sets in a way that I don't have to hit the cue point button to jump to the part of the song I need, or I don't need to go to my laptop to load a new song so that I have more time to focus on the turntables/mixers.

The routines I have issues with are the ones that edit beats to add more kicks/snares in juggles, or chop them up so that they never have to backspin (you see a lot of guys when they're juggling just keep going forward in the juggle, but it's not a strobe sound, they just edited so the 1st beat of every bar starts at 12 o'clock). Or some guys even edit samples to make them easier to manipulate... they'll take like "break it down" and make it "br-br-break it-it-it d-d-down" and do 2 clicks over it so it sounds like they're doing something similar to what I'm doing with "breakin shit down" in this routine. So yea, to me it's still a DEEJAY battle, not a producer battle, and I think it crosses the line when people start using production to make normal techniques easier, and try to use it as a substitute for practice. Hope that clears it up :D.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you're saying and was just giving you a little shit. I think it was that video from last year I was thinking of.
I've been out of djing forever and just picked up serato and getting back into scratching. Watching videos I do see those cue points being abused and I highly doubt a lot of dj's could even hold a loop if they were forced to actually backspin as opposed to hitting the cue. Don't get me wrong, I think some of these routines are sicker than hell but there should be an equal mix of technology and skill being brought to the tables which I think you're doing a great example of.

I agree totally, new technology should be used to build on what was there, not as a way around putting time in to learning the foundation.

Having a respect for the purity of the art is good, but embracing of the future is good too. Lots of people be bitchin' as to some things being more authentic. I really like seeing skill well executed and if that occurs in a traditional style that is wicked and if it uses new techniques to make stuff easier that is good too. As long as the eventual composition has the an impressive element i dont mind if people make stuff easier. but once stuff has been made easier you have to do more with it to make it sound as good. I have jumped into serato over the past year and although i am all over the setting of cue points my style has well got the hands on turntables element and is not about making things easier.

I just entered DMC online aswell name of Dj Calleja check it out and see what i mean.Please give me a vote if you like it.

i don't like people doing the kind of editing that makes scratches super simple that is whack. but if the thing they have made easier allows a new technique to be used that flips peoples ideas of how to arrange music that is fantastic. We have reached this stage of turntablism that now it is not just two records and a fader and the scope for composition possibilities has been made massive. Like all technological advancements that come from a movement gaining popularity and make things easier and more accessible, this brings a reduction in general skill levels as more people who thought they could not contribute to this artform start to realise they can and get involved. It is a part of a transition and we are in a stage of people re learning the options created by their equipment. I like it because it will create many more ways to make music with turntables and as people start to refine these it will increase the appeal of turntablism to other people who havent been inducted. Rather than it moving over to a bit of a geeky club that people don't relate too. It is just a challenge sometimes to remember this as there is some pretty terrible turntable output at this time. It will improve, have faith.

Back