Mixing two different BPM's

ProducerJay

I've just started getting into the dj field. From threads that I've read, during a dj mix, the dj mixes songs with close bpm's. Like mixing a 90.0 song with a 92.0 song. But I want to know is there a technique to mix songs with 2 totally different bpm's? (i.e 85 and 120 etc...) or does equipment play a big role?
Thanks.

Serato Itch
Numark NS7

Try to meet in the middle...although some tracks don't fair so well at slower/faster tempos. Use those ears!

But I want to know is there a technique to mix songs with 2 totally different bpm's? (i.e 85 and 120 etc...)

You can mix songs that 60 bpm and 120 bpm together, because depending on how you look at it, its either double timed or half timed.

For odd numbered tempos like you described, it depends on how the song is created. If there are breaks in the music, you could mix the breaks. If one song ends with just sounds, you can start the next song with a different beat in those sounds and vise-versa.

or does equipment play a big role?

My opinion, this is where turntables have the advantage, you could always scratch in and then drop various songs and tempos in relation to how the songs are phrased.

***To answer your question, you can't straight up match all beats.

SNNNNNAAAARE ROLLLESSSSSSS

Really, snares are your friend....

Simple trick i found, either cut the song in one a word/snare roll/breakdown to buildup. <<< TT's

cample it in with cue on a word <<<< CDJ - PC

or just scratch it in. beat matching isnt the only way to mix, just the best way.

You can mix songs that 60 bpm and 120 bpm together, because depending on how you look at it, its either double timed or half timed.

For odd numbered tempos like you described, it depends on how the song is created. If there are breaks in the music, you could mix the breaks. If one song ends with just sounds, you can start the next song with a different beat in those sounds and vise-versa.

My opinion, this is where turntables have the advantage, you could always scratch in and then drop various songs and tempos in relation to how the songs are phrased.

***To answer your question, you can't straight up match all beats.

pretty much got it right... if your mixing a song that is not doubled or half the BPM say 82 and 96 then you can 'kill' the turntable (power off while playing), scratch it in, fade a song out and the other in, echo effect, etc... or like a lot of east coast dj's, just 'slam it in' (crossfade really fast from on song to another and yell over the track while your doing it) ps not all east coast dj's do that... but from what i've heard a lot on the radio do

I also find it cool to loop a part with just drums or something, maybe an outro, have that loop running, start filtering it down (low pass filter) until all you hear is the pulse of the kick. Start rising the tempo so the kick starts going faster and faster. Loop the incoming track, match the tempo, also filter this very, very low, and then start rising the tempo of the incoming track. Start fading over entirely to the incoming track and as you're getting close to your desired tempo start filtering it up and release the loop.

Although do it rather quickly so the crowd doesn't loose interest!

Back