mixing, newbies, technics, vestax all thats good!

S

suspect

Yeah, i am a dj, and have played out loads of places in the UK.

I heard that some people actually practise there set before they go on stage? this is totally wrong as how do u know what the mood is..why not just get a mix tape? u need to know what tunes to play etc...

btw........vestax kill technics in every respect!!!!

Hmm... From my past experience of watching some of my dj friends practiced their specific sets before going live, I found out that when they went out live, their mixes seemed to be a little bit too... uhm... mechanical and stiff. They were telling me that by practicing their sets they became less nervous about what they need to do. But I found that to be the opposite. It seemed to me that they were actually more nervous about missing their pre-determined breaks and stuff - they didn't seem to be enjoy thier mix!!!

So, I don't recommend practicing sequences for any dj's...

Just go out and have fun... so what if you miss the beats here and there... you're only human...

(p.s. are you the Usual Suspect?? hee hee)

The only place I find predefined sets are "tolerable" are in competitions and battles, and still in big lines (you know what tunes to mix or what style, but the rest is improvisation).

You have to remember, the main job of a dj is NOT to play/mix music... it's to play/mix music FOR THE PEOPLE. A dj has to watch his crowd constantly, so he can react immediately to the response of the people. If they don't do that, they'll become mechanical and stiff (indeed). They could as well insert a mixtape and go claim money right away.

I have no club djing experience..but i used to just do gigs for my school..which was alot of fun.. i used to get soo excited friday or saturday night came..and prep time would be around 2,3 hours before the gig..setting everything up..doing a soundcheck.. equalizing the cd's and the Tables..

But the reaction you get from the people..or just making people dance is incredible..it's like a high... you're in control.. i love it.. anyone else feel the same way?..(btw..i'm not saying i don't have love for the music!)

Jyang411

disagree with u

its good practise to have rough kind of set worked out i meam to have tunes in order in box is wrong, but its good to run through the tunes u have a few day in advance so u know what tunes go well with each other, there is nothing worse than trying to drop a new tune that won't mix well with others :(
Its difficult on who to play for to
yourself Vs. crowd
this should really be discussed in depth
I've seen respect go down the pan because someone turned into a cheese meister, trying to be a crowd please.
One of the best Dj's i ever seen is Dj Marky from Brazil, because he was playing 4 himself and enjoying himself and making the crowd go wild at the same time.

Back