Mixing Hardstyle WTF

Heavy95

I dont know if you guys have ever heard of this genre but in my opinion it blows when you are mixing it. I mean its my favorite type of edm but, mixing it is kinda bad. From what I noticed the transitions for the most part have to be pretty short unless you are mixing to tracks with almost the exact same kick and on top of that it gives you no room for error. Tracks have to exactly go together from what I have heard and tryed. When I am mixing stuff like electro and dubstep tracks don't really have to go in together exactly. You can make a very good mix with just slamming in tracks together but, I feel like with hardstyle I have to have a prepared set. Do you guys have any tips on mixing hardstyle

I am in a ditch pretty much I have to go threw so many tracks figuring out which goes best with what for my mixes. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited:
yeah, I'd like to know what you're talking about too
there's alot of ways to transition from one song to the next without it sounding like a train wreck with a prepared set or not

Well I dont think I can post links yet but, you guys can check out my channel it has 4 hardstyle mixes. My problem is that it takes so much time to construct a set. Song gotta fit in perfectly from what I hear.

Last edited:
Dj rockwell

I have mixed for house party's and, re-mixed tracks for friends and myself for the last 21 years. Never went pro with it well, at a national level at the least. Have a college degree in music and video production and, I have just recently went from analog to digital and found mixing not too off from what I was use to. To seriously answer your question it is not that all complicated to mix Hard-style. You have to look at the structure of each track and sort of disassemble it. Don't try to mix the end of a song with the beginning of one. Look at where each resting point and each build is. If a track starts with a deep kick I will usually find another track that starts with a snare to mix in at the climax of a build following a resting point and vise verse. Just listen to the track and try to memorize it in a whole then work with different parts of that song. Experiment with mixing different points of the tracks to turn it into a flawless mix. If you can train yourself to do that then you can just drop tracks with out fading in and out. I would keep scratches and tricks to a minimum. The less the better. You want to keep your mix continuously moving but time each mix so you still get the break in the track but it's not some long tedious resting point every track. I will at times mix a minute or two of a track then change to something else so I am always constructing through the whole set as an artist that uses midi controllers does. It will be a set that is constantly changing so I'm not using the same mixes each time just the same set. Experiment with your tunes and don't be afraid to try something that someone else wouldn't do, it's finding out how to use a track no one else knows what to do with and owning it. I hope this may be helpful to you.

I have to go threw so many tracks figuring out which goes best with what for my mixes. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I thought that's what being a good dj was about, finding what tracks fit together and making a mix, if you are to lazy to find songs that mix together, you should find a new hobby.

Dj Rockwell gave you a full write up on what you should already know. Here are the bullet points.
-Don't try to mix the end of a song with the beginning of one
-Experiment with mixing different points of the tracks
- I would keep scratches and tricks to a minimum. The less the better- Side note: Seeing as you are to lazy to even find tracks that work together I would follow this tip as your scratching more than likely sucks. If you do have skillz in this area of mixing I say flaunt it, it adds so much more to the mix and builds a stronger bridge between the songs. Two artist that I can think of that throw some bada$$ scratches in the mix are Disco D (RIP) and Bad Boy Bill (I think that's his name). As I don't follow dance music (cause it sucks) those are two artist that incorporate serious scratches in the mix. Also dj Craze on the jungle scene (3x dmc winner).
-Experiment with your tunes and don't be afraid to try something that someone else wouldn't do
-it's finding out how to use a track no one else knows what to do with and owning it

Back