Mixing Drum N Bass

D

D.J.H.

Just got my tables and a few records. I read DJ THY's tips on beat matching and they helped out a bunch. Are drum n bass records structured the same as the other forms of Techno? I count in my head but I seem to be off when I drop in the next record. I'm almost always early. Am I counting too fast or are the records structured differently? Thanks.

DJH

The thing is that Drum nBass is generally structured around breakbeats, which are not always following an obvious regularity. You rarely find 4/4 in dnb.

However, after a while (and practice!) you'll be able to count the "TICKS" however you call the beats.

Let us know how you are doing.

[Edited by ManoOne on 08-25-2000 at 09:07 PM]

though as mano said (hi Mano..thx for the topic :D)
DnB is not structured evenly, you will be able to find many similarities in most of them...adjust your cue in the pre-mix, and you will soon see there are many posibilities to add the beat...

MikeB

easy

if u try and listen to a drum n bass drum loop u'll notice a repeating snare sound(known as the 'two step')
mix two tunes using the two step beat structure as your basic beat pattern tha same way u do it with a regulr 4/4 beat.

notice that somtimes u can only find one snare and not two, but the idea is the same and also goes for other types of break based music

listen to a mix done by a goo dj to understand it

keep it rollin

listen to your records

if you listen to your records enough you know exacly when the breaks kick in and when the beats stop. try listeninng to a record a few times in a row the whole waty through. then try to mix it, im sure it will help you out

Back