Master Volume ??

F

FADERPHYSICS

- whats the point of master volume on your mixer when you have gain on your mixer ? and you have volume on your amp
and also what level do people leave there master vol on vestax mixers

Whats the point of having individual volume and gain faders on a mixing console in addition to having a master volume?

Its just more ways of tweaking the sound. You don't want any of the volume faders to be too high, except for the channel faders on your mixer, they are fine going all the way up for scratching purposes.

I have a Vestax 07 Pro, and I usually leave the master volume fader on the preset line they have on the plate, about 75% up.

The gain knobs for each channel drift between 50% (the 12 o'clock position), and 75% (about the 3 o'clock position) depending on if I'm playing a single, LP, or feeding to the discman I use to play CD's.

It really doesn't matter where your levels are as long as you're not getting any distortion or clipping.

Peace!

yeh!! on most mixers just make sure you are not red lining!! cos this usually causes distortion in sound and can also shag the pre amp in the mixer, usually resaulting in blowing one of the range outs!! as well as not giving you a visual aid to mixing volumes!!

FADERPHYSICS said:
- whats the point of master volume on your mixer when you have gain on your mixer ? and you have volume on your amp
and also what level do people leave there master vol on vestax mixers

My amp is not always in front of you, so where ever I set it during sound check is where it stays. Your mixer is always right in front of you. Thats why you have a master volume on your mixer.

During a mix or set, you may need to raise the levels of both (or all) your channels at the same time, at equal amounts, so instead of trying to turn all your gains at once the same amount, you have the master volume.

Doesn't matter where you set your gains and levels, as long as you are not in red on your VU meter. Its okay if it hits red every once in awhile, but every time it does, you are clipping the sound which results in distortion. Plus you can blow your stuff up if you push it too hard. Try to set all the levels up so you have alittle flexibility just in case things do get loud so you won't be in the red.

The way I set my stuff up is, I adjust the gains so that they peak just below or right at the first red light on the VU meter. That point then becomes my reference point for how I need to ride the gain so the levels of each song are continuous. You will still need to rely on your headphones because the VU meter doesn't tell the whole story. Then I test the Mastervolume and the volume on the amp. I try to keep each one of those in the green as much as possible, yellow if you have to. You don't want any clipping occuring at any point of volume output, or blow your amp, so find a happy medium.

good question, FF...I have the same thoughts about my Rane mixer...is the Master Volume capable of adding gain above line level? or does it max out at line level (like a CD player)?

I use my decks for recording only, so I've got even more points in the chain to adjust volume, and even though I can appreciate having lots of control, all those volume settings along the way make me unsure of whether I'm getting the best signal I can. (It would be a shame to build a sample library only to find out later that your gain structure wasn't right etc.)

if your recording!! your best bet is to keep everything in the green and record in to wave lab, then you can adjust the volumes in there! aswell as getting rid of record clicks, ticks n crackles

Farmski, never stop using !!'s.

I read all your posts in a loud super-happy voice and it cheers me up.

Thank you.

i started a thread on my !!!!! marks!

to see who liked them and who didnt, but it got deleted!

im glad they are appreciated on some level!!!!

cheers!!!!

ill keep the !!!!

ill break it down eaily. the gain on your mixers are to level tracks during mixing cuz records are all diff levels. the up faders are for mixing/cutting and to add a lil flavor. the rest.... you want your master lower then your your mixing board. why, cuz you get less noise like static and hum. you want your amp/pa to go good level where the speakers themselves dont make noise. then use your board to find a good level to perform at. that way you have a crisp clean sound. hopefully that filled you in.

Always try to keep your volume faders all the way 100 percent up if your not doing any kind of fade out and still in the mix or whatever. your GAIN is the amount of volume coming into your mixer coming from your turntable. Control your gain with your meters and stay right below the red or first bar of the red. your MASTER is your volume going out of the mixer which is the overall sound. That should connect to your amp and then just define your overall sound. Just mess with it and see what you get, but make sure you don't peak, and your master and your amp level should match too.

Back