Live sidechain compression?

steffeeh

I've wondered for a long time about this.

If I have two decks, one with for example a synth-loop and the other with a kick-loop, is it possible to connect them both to a compressor and sidechain the synth-loop to the kick-loop through a mixer and get a ducking sound on the synth live?
Or maybe connect both to a compressor and make ducking sound there?

And if so, how, and what is needed? I don't have much experience of physical mixers etc, just software.

Just wondering.

Depends on what DAW you're using, if you have the capability of using two separate instances of an 'instrument' at the same time then I don't see how it wouldn't work. I'm looking at it kinda funny here, excuse me if I don't quite understand what your trying to get at.

I don't think DAW programs have anything to do with this.

I wonder if this is possible with 2 physically existing decks, most logic would be 2 CD-players, with a physically existing DJ mixer or other mixer too if necessary and a physically existing compressor.

Is it possible to perhaps connect the compressor to the same channel as the synth loops and then sidechain the kick loop to the mixer channel and therefore create a ducking sound while on stage? I have no idea if it's possible to sidechain in a real mixer and if there are compressors with the function to get into a "sidechain mode".

And then I don't know if it's possible to connect a CD-player to a compressor etc.

And that's why I need help.

Back