Left Hand Dominant vs. Right Hand Dominant

mrinfotek

Does anyone else besides me think that Right Hand Dominant DJ's (scratch with Right Hand on the record) have a slight advantage over Left Hand Dominant DJ's?

I think this because it seems slightly more difficult to do faderless scratches (ie: lazers, fazers, swipes) for me (left hand dominant).

Your thoughts?

PEACE!

Personally I've always thought that left hand on the record allows a more fluid motion because you're pushing away from your body not towards it... i dunno :)

c

Well, i think that it's easier Right Handed because you have the outside of the record to work with the Left (for swipes and fazers).

It just feels awkward, like there's limited room to work with between the Left Hand and the needle.

I scratch with my left hand and right hand has some advantages. It is so easy to learn tears and clover tears with my right hand but it took forever to learn with my left hand because the right hand is on the outer part of te record so its easier to pause between babies. I've never noticed a difference in any other scratches though.

pinstripe0404 said:
It is so easy to learn tears and clover tears with my right hand but it took forever to learn with my left hand because the right hand is on the outer part of the record so its easier to pause between babies.

I agree.

MACKone said:
Personal preference.

well said, just learn the way it seems most natural, but dont neglect your weaker hand :D

Will

^^ So true...I got used to using my right because I cut with my right...and also when I spin @ clubs...I usually put both tables on the right...mixer on the left. BIG MISTAKE on my part !

so you control both decks with yor right hand

i e

set up!!

mixer/deck/deck ??

interesting one!! i can do either hand, so i dont really have much problem with the above,but say im doing a lil routine scratching left on the record, when i start doing faderless stuff i find it easyer to swap around with my hands!! looks cool too!! so i do swipes with left holding the record and swipe with the right, then hold the deck stll with the left on the outside of the platter and tears with the right, maybe introduce a scribble or a turbo scratch to round of with the right, drop it and then get back on the fader with the right!!

i love turbo scratches!!

TURBO SCRATCH??? !!!! HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT?? I've been trying for such a long time experimenting with many movements and I never got the same sound Yogafrog does. It's like a mystery to me.

Its sorta hard to explain!! but i had a butchers for something, and there was actully one good explination on here!!

unlike what you think its like! it is not a scribble!! its two handed/fingered technique!! i was just about to write some complete crap down which probably wouldnt make sence! but someone else has saved me the effort of explaining!! when you do it, use the natural cussioning in the pad of your finger to judge the amount of movement you need to actualy jog/alturnate your fingers once you have some speed going, it will tae some really quite boring practice but it does sound mint!,

this is what i found!! ok!!

By the way to listen to the samples you have to type them in the internet explorer address box instead of clicking the link as geocities has some technical problem regarding file sharing!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/dj_veteran/wavetwisters.rm

The "Turbo" Skratch: this technique was first shown to me in a slightly different form around 97-98 (yes that long ago believe it or not) by a friend I used to session with, I didn't really pick it up and mess with it until around 98/early 99 and only bothered to try styles with it in the last year or so. But enough about that, lets get down to business. The technique like people have already guessed is a *two* handed, open fader scratch. The turbo itself is unlike any other fast sounding scratch (i.e. uzi) for the simple fact that - 1. it doesn't break up as you move the scratch forward or backward like a uzi ( http://www.geocities.com/dj_veteran/Uzi.rm )as you'll notice the sample of the uzi is a continuous sound randomly moving back and forth to create a harsh vibrating sound. The turbo on the other hand functions more like.....well like a good way to explain it is like somone running on the spot on a stationary treadmill. The technique, like running on a treadmill, alternates hands like your feet would alternate when you run......left...right....left....right...etc. In this case you just treat the vinyl like the treadmill surface. When you do the scratch it's not necessarily a "patting" method like people have said (although close), here's the step by step.

- Using your middle fingers (that's how I do it) you press directly down quickly and the vinyl should come towards your self slightly, you can see how brief the pull is in the example file I have made. It's almost a automatic pull when you press down on the vinyl. Basically you want to "jog" the sample on the spot. So basically every press down creates a short tear and then when you bring your finger off the vinyl your other finger should be on the way down to catch the record release coming back forward again. So every time the vinyl tries to play again you come down on it with the next finger and on and on. So if the press down would be the tear and the "ahhh" is the release of the sample it would read like <ahhh-tear-ahhh-tear-ahhh-tear> etc... confused yet??? haha believe me, when the video comes out on http://www.phonografitti.com you'll be like "ohhhhhhh" but hang in there, the audio should be enough help you sort it out.

Example 1... http://www.geocities.com/dj_veteran/Example1.rm

Example 1. - in example one I used alternating stabs to wind down the scratch then went from the end of the "ahhhhhhhh" sample and started the turbo slowly then increased the frequency of the "presses" running the sample back to the beginning of the "ahhhh". The faster you *jog* the faster the turbo.

Example 2... http://www.geocities.com/dj_veteran/Example2.rm

Example 2 - in example two I utilized the same techniques but here's the thing that's different, towards the end I do the technique on the same spot of the sample *but* work from the inside of the vinyl to the outside which lessens or intensifies the turbo depending on finger placement, which is why it pitches up and down a little bit at the end of the file. voila.

Faderless scratches arent hard to learn with the left. Like tears or swipes, those arent that bad. The only one I had a problem was Clover Tearing. It took me awhile before I could master that one.

That wasnt much help haha. BUT, It's all you if you use a left hand. Just practice it.

rice the stdj said:
Faderless scratches arent hard to learn with the left. Like tears or swipes, those arent that bad. The only one I had a problem was Clover Tearing. It took me awhile before I could master that one.

That wasnt much help haha. BUT, It's all you if you use a left hand. Just practice it.

yea clovers tears are a little tricky but it is true that your dominant hand will have more control. Over time your can train you non dominant hand to just as much control but i think its time being wasted. IMO if your right handed you should use your right hand on the record.

If you dont agree do tears with each hand and youll see that your dominant hand will have the better control.

if youre good enough this question doesnt even matter

just keep practicing

Back