the lack of musicianship in EDM, how are "stageshows" determined, by "light shows"?

prodeucer

the lack of musicianship in EDM, how are "stageshows" determined, by "light shows"?

I don't think there's much "showmanship" in EDM, not to mention any musicianship so my assumption here is "stageshows" determine the "show", plus the music of course (in all it's press-play glory). :berzerk:

Who determines an artist's stage shows, isn't it the venue or the stage designers? Is it the artist's job as well? I'm not sure many artists like Skrillex would have the time to make music while determining what his stage shows will look like?

So my curiosity is, where do up and coming EDM artists buy these "lights"? I'm assuming it's made for smaller venues but when one is to play a stadium, some type of lens is put on those lights to make it bigger and dramatic? Kinda like most bands would use a 30 watt amp guitar but when they do play to bigger venues it gets mic'ed to the venue's PA just so it sounds bigger and louder. So my take on those "guys with lights" (aka EDM artists) is that they have lights that play along to their beats/music (it triggers it to sync along, etc) but how do they make those lights work on a bigger venue? Lens?

In EDM, the music is there, but since the so-called showmanship is based on "lights", where do you find those lights? It would be nice to get my own customizable light shows rather than let someone else at the venue handle the "stageshows".

Last edited:
Skrillex has a team thats in charge of all the visuals. Theres a great mini movie on youtube about that sorta thing.

As for one just starting out. If you wanna play with some lights and see what you can make of it try searching on amazon.com

Im pretty sure you can even go to school for this type of field!

Back