interested in getting into dj-ing, help?

k2music

Hey!

I do a lot of engineering and production work but only really work in DAW's so im trying to get a handle on what the "industry-standard" is for dj-ing.

Im really interested in doing pop-remix type dj-ing not like scratching and the more traditional type of dj-ing. I've been thinking ableton live might be a great way to live pop remixes on the fly, but that might completly ignorant.

thoughts?

I originally started dormroom DJing with Traktor (along with a few friends). My original setup was my MacBook Pro and Logitech Z2300 speakers and sub.

Everyone has their preference and I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I enjoy using CDJs and Traktor. I can't make any comparisons, as I've only used/cared to use Traktor, but I hear Serato is a great program as well. Based on what you say you're interested in accomplishing while DJing, purchasing Ableton and a controller for mapping samples seems to be a wise decision.

Seek out some friends that are DJs and ask them to play around with their equipment and to teach you a few basics. It's easy to ask and get people to suggest hardware and software you should be using, but DJing well is about finding what works for you and building confidence with whichever program/hardware you choose.

Based on what you say you're interested in accomplishing while DJing, purchasing Ableton and a controller for mapping samples seems to be a wise decision.

Ableton with....

A midi fighter
Akai APC 40, or 20
Novation Launchpad

Or any of the many other controllers made for ableton will be best.

It seems more like you jsut want to do on the fly mixes, such as Deadmau5's live performances.

Ableton always keeps you in the beat with autobar quantization and auto BPM matching (assuming your BPM count is right)

You can also play live onto the tracks.

FL studio also provides a live mode, but dont bother with it.

As for controllers, I use the akai apc40. It's quite a lovely piece of equipment. It allows me to chunk processes down when necessary and allows in depth real time manipulation when needed. It has become an essential piece to my live performances.

Back