Insert cable on pedals connected to DJ mixer, sound only comes out of one monitor?

drummy

I have got both the Boss RC-20XL and DigiTech DigiDelay guitar effects pedals for my turntables. My DJ mixer is the Rane TTM 56. The Rane TTM 56 has a FlexFX section, which is the FX loop section. The inputs are 1/4". The insert cables I am using are Y-cables, RCAs (Red being TIP, Gray being RING), and the other end is a single 1/4". I hooked up one of the insert cables to the Effects Send, using the Red and Gray RCAs plugged into RCA-to-1/4" plugs, and plugged THOSE into the Send inputs on the Rane, and plugged the 1/4" end into the input of the RC-20XL. I did the same with the RETURN, except plugged the 1/4" end of the cable on that one into the Output of the RC-20XL. When I switched the FX switch to on though, I noticed that he sound only comes out on the left monitor! When the FX are on DRY, they come out of both monitors, but when the FX are on WET, it only comes out of the LEFT monitor. I noticed the same thing happened with the DigiTech DigiDelay pedal. I'm pretty sure it's not the pedals, it's most likely my cables, right? Thanks.

drummy said:
I have got both the Boss RC-20XL and DigiTech DigiDelay guitar effects pedals for my turntables. My DJ mixer is the Rane TTM 56. The Rane TTM 56 has a FlexFX section, which is the FX loop section. The inputs are 1/4". The insert cables I am using are Y-cables, RCAs (Red being TIP, Gray being RING), and the other end is a single 1/4". I hooked up one of the insert cables to the Effects Send, using the Red and Gray RCAs plugged into RCA-to-1/4" plugs, and plugged THOSE into the Send inputs on the Rane, and plugged the 1/4" end into the input of the RC-20XL. I did the same with the RETURN, except plugged the 1/4" end of the cable on that one into the Output of the RC-20XL. When I switched the FX switch to on though, I noticed that he sound only comes out on the left monitor! When the FX are on DRY, they come out of both monitors, but when the FX are on WET, it only comes out of the LEFT monitor. I noticed the same thing happened with the DigiTech DigiDelay pedal. I'm pretty sure it's not the pedals, it's most likely my cables, right? Thanks.
I don't know the specifics about the effects pedals you are using but in general most guitar pedals are mono so if you are sending a stereo signal in, one channel is getting dropped and you are receiving a mono signal on one channel only.

I might be totally wrong (its been known before) but that may well be your issue.

Regards

UKJay said:
I don't know the specifics about the effects pedals you are using but in general most guitar pedals are mono so if you are sending a stereo signal in, one channel is getting dropped and you are receiving a mono signal on one channel only.

I might be totally wrong (its been known before) but that may well be your issue.

Regards
I believe that is the case as well. Thanks.

drummy said:
That's not the kind of response I wanted. I already have a the Digidelay. And it works now, thanks to some cables I bought. Thanks though.

Well then I assume you solved your problem by logically running two cables for each channel. You know, what most people would do to begin with...

Hosey said:
Well then I assume you solved your problem by logically running two cables for each channel. You know, what most people would do to begin with...
This is what I did:

I got two HOSA Y-cables, dual female mono RCAs to mono 1/4", this one:

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/ypr-103.html

And I hooked up two of Livewire's 5' metal plated dual RCAs-to-dual RCAs from the female RCA inputs on the Y-cable to my FlexFX section (one into each Y-cable). The RCAs look like these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-RCA-...190-i1166759.gc

They look like that, except they are not patch cables and one of the RCAs is red, one is black.

I then put RCA-to-1/4" plugs on the RCAs going into my FlexFX section since the inputs in the FX loop are 1/4".

As for the 1/4" parts of the cable, I hooked up the one coming out from the SEND of the FlexFX section into the input on the DigiTech delay pedal. I used a 1' angled instrument cable as a patch cable from the output of the delay pedal to the INST input on the RC-20XL. I used this one, the $7.99 version:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-Adva...818-i1128388.gc

I then hooked up the 1/4" end coming from the RETURN into the output of the RC-20XL.

I hope that made sense.

Back