iBook question.....cuz I don't know macs

Mouk

Can't handle PC's anymore, too many damn problems. Im switching to macs...I gotta know if an iBook will be able to run Final Scratch properly, maybe even Ableton although I heard it struggles on macs. I don't know if theres a big difference between iBooks or powerbooks, plus I heard the processor is slow(like i said i dont know macs) Is this iBook maxed out enough to where I won't need to worry much?

1.5GB DDR333 SDRAM (512MB built-in & 1GB SO-DIMM)
100GB Ultra ATA drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
14-inch TFT XGA display
1.42GHz PowerPC G4
ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

Bluetooth 2.0 built-in

Its pretty much pushed to the limit, as far as mac's options go anyways. What do you guys think, will I have any problems?? Or at least till a mac with the intel chip comes out this year, then ill use this one for FS and that one for Ableton.

Oh yeah they only allow 4200 rpm hard drives too...is it that big of a difference? Cuz i've never used one before, i hear the 7200 ones help alot though.

hey whatsup?

i love my macie and people who knows me, knows of my love affair with macs. macs are way better if u are into art, films, music, of course, u r into music being a dj.
i have a powerbook, bc it offer a lot more than a ibook especially if u r using final scratch. personally, i'm using serato, no problems. if u don't have ur final scratch, dont get it! serato is a lot superior digital.

bounce
b.o.y.d

I recently had the same internal debate. I just got my ibook in Aug '05, and use it sucessfully everyday to record scratching and make beats. It is true that the powerbook is better/faster (if you want to shell out the money).

the only problem i had was a faulty combo drive, it was fixed for free and works fine now.

I got an iBook (12") for exactly the same purpose, and after a few weeks wound up getting a 12" Powerbook instead.

The iBook had enough speed to run Final Scratch 2 and Traktor, but seemed to be pushing pretty close to the limit. I couldn't, for example, use the highest-quality "key lock" setting on both decks at once.

The Powerbook seems to run the software more comfortably. Although the processor speed increase is minor (1.5 vs. 1.33 gHz), the bus speed of the Powerbook is faster (166 vs. 133 mHz), the hard drive is faster, and the video card is faster. All of those relatively minor speed differences end up making a fairly big improvement in overall performance.

Mouk said:
Oh yeah they only allow 4200 rpm hard drives too...is it that big of a difference? Cuz i've never used one before, i hear the 7200 ones help alot though.

Just because they don't come with a faster HD doesn't mean they don't "allow" for them. You can throw any HD you want in them. I installed an 80 gig 5400 rpm drive in my ibook. The speed increase isn't that dramatic using any of these programs by switching to a faster hard drive seeing as you're not streaming data actively off the hard drive (like you would for something like Gigastudio which streams samples direct from hard drive). Everything is buffered into RAM on these programs before you even start playing the song. The only real thing holding back FS from working properly on some computers is the bus speed and the amount of L2 cache.

Doc

Doc_Lee said:

Just because they don't come with a faster HD doesn't mean they don't "allow" for them. You can throw any HD you want in them. I installed an 80 gig 5400 rpm drive in my ibook. The speed increase isn't that dramatic using any of these programs by switching to a faster hard drive seeing as you're not streaming data actively off the hard drive (like you would for something like Gigastudio which streams samples direct from hard drive). Everything is buffered into RAM on these programs before you even start playing the song. The only real thing holding back FS from working properly on some computers is the bus speed and the amount of L2 cache.

Doc

Yeah but I don't wanna void the warranty by doing that...although Ibooks are cheap, even if it lasts me a lil while id be making my money back.

hey, if you're looking to buy an ibook, Amazon.com has a killer deal on the 12" ibook for 799, plus a free mighty mouse and photo printer after rebate. I might actually get one for serato, I've been looking for a laptop for a while. I think the powerbook is on sale as well.

But come holiday season a lot of laptops will be on sale.

Get a Powerbook it will last longer and runs A LOT FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!
I have an ibook and powerbook both bought within 2 weeks. The Powerbook will definitely give you a large boost in performance. BTW Get serato if you don't have final scratch. It's Far superior!

the glitches in fs have been pretty much resolved in 2.6, with 2 i did have no end of problems, half of them were bought on by windows os, used with a mac they are pretty much on a par as far as handleing goes, bit fs crams a shed load of features in, the only thing that fs does ned is ram!!

macs use a simular processing method as hyper threading in intels ht range but due to all the so called "fail safe" options in xp os it glitches when the enevatable ctrl/alt/del is needed,

if you do go down the rout of mac but prefur the way windows operates you can get virtual pc which just basicaly face lifts the mac os and also alows pc software but keeps the overall stability that macs are ronound for!!

also upgrading the hard drive on a mac shouldnt invalidate the warrentee as it is a simple replacement, same as replecing the cd combi drive to a higher speed!!

http://www.arkade.com/default.aspx?a=Two_Dawgs

peace dawgs V

Back