i need help

W

wigadee

hellops everyone!

i have just got a new pair of decks, i've got about 80 odd records, but i can't mix for ****. i can mix a bk tune into that new lemon 8 one but thats about it. i need advice. can you mix house into garage and if so how? can you mix house into hard house without making it sound stupid and again if so how? and is it possible to mix mj coles sincere into anything?? i love music and i love mixing (attemping to) but i think that i will never be able to mix the way i'm going some one please help.

peace out

WiGADEE

quick mixing tips to get you started

first off you have to kinda get your records categorized especially since your stil starting off. keep hard house with hard house and keep funky house with funky hosue. as for mixing house into garage yada yada. it can be done but dont feel bad if you cant do it cause most people cant.the reason is that the beats per minute (bpm) are usually to fr apart hard house songs now usually have something like 141 bpms. where as like a lot of trance is slower like 135 bpms. and it just doesnt sound right to go from somethign that slow to somethign that quick or vice versa. now to the mixing a lot of ppl here talk about 32nd and 64th beat which youll need to know but in the beggining try this out it much easier. take 2 songs thats have somewhat similar beats close drum beats( castles in the sky ~ 138 bpm and delerium-silence ~ 138 bpms)unplug the headphones for now since your not gonna be playing in front of audiences. start one record let it play. once the bass seems steady grab the bass on the 2nd record and throw it in ( you might wanna keep the second record at a lower volume) now nudge the tempo back and forth and play around withthe record to match the beats( this comes with practice if you look in this site i think its dj thy explains it realyl good) once the beats are matched and you have the speeds right. shut off the second record bring it to the first bass on the record and wait. when the first record is nearing the end theres usually a part when it gets slow then kicks back in one last time. once that first bass kicks in try to throw in the bass of the second record. and the beats should be pretty close and you can fix em and make it sound nicer but thats what headphones are for. if this makes no sense im really sorry but its late i tried and i have organic chemistry to study so if you want email me llcoolpeat@aol.com haha have fun

Mixing Techniques

First, you've got to get your style. Mixing House into R'n'B isn't pukka, so pick one. The easiest one to start off with is House. Get 2 versions of the same records - must have an instrumental - Cue up the first one (Left) with the pich adj. at 0, and the fader to the left. Now get the instrumental version ready on the right deck (the cue switch should be on that deck). Place the needle on the (right) deck and find where the first bass-kick comes in. Now drag it back to there and "scratch" back & forth. Listen to the other record that has been playing all the time, and try and get the beat pattern (4/4 for house, 2/4 for garage). Once you have the rhythm, let the other record go wiht a slight push at the start of the rhythm loop (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,...). It should be only slightly off beat, so presuming the pitch adj. is at 0 like the left deck, a little nudge or drag on the label or edge of the vinyl will get in in sync. When you are happy with it then bring the crossafder across to the middle gently (for house anyway) and then all the way across. The best house DJ's (Norman Cook for example) can leave the crossfader in the middle for as long as they like wihtout it going out of sync.
There you go, Pukka or wot ?

MJ Cole

I just read your article again, and MJ Cole is easy mate !!! If it's the album then use Slum King and kut the track in when it's in sync. The trick with Garage is not to leave the crossfader in the middle much, and get the vocal lines so they match when you kut the choons.

Back