I am a producer. How do i start my DJ Career?

Reezy

Hello Future Producers. this is Reezy from India. I make House music and recently got signed to a bigger label and going to release my debut single on this 18th. I have very less number of followers on social media and also very less gears to develope my production quality so i want to earn both fans and money to give a serious kickstart to my career. so i am thinking about joiniing a DJ academy. is it a good way to start dj career or theres other better alternate way that you pro's know? please provide some ideas over here i badly need them.

Thanking you!
Reezy.

Its all about connections. I would start getting your name out there from DJ'ing, while also throwing out free music creating a core fan base

Hello Future Producers. this is Reezy from India. I make House music and recently got signed to a bigger label and going to release my debut single on this 18th. I have very less number of followers on social media and also very less gears to develope my production quality so i want to earn both fans and money to give a serious kickstart to my career. so i am thinking about joiniing a DJ academy. is it a good way to start dj career or theres other better alternate way that you pro's know? please provide some ideas over here i badly need them.

Thanking you!
Reezy.

Well since you may need to expedite your DJ experience if you have a single dropping soon, a class would be your best bet. Otherwise just practicing and messing around with equipment on your own is the best way to learn how to DJ in my opinion. I started messing with a numark mixdeck and serato about 4 yrs ago and gradually worked my way up to traktor and a kontrol S8. That was all from me just practicing and learning how to beat match on my own.

Get a mix recorded and sent out to local promoters, offer to do free gigs to start off with and get a foot in the door

Don't be pressured by purist DJs. Use whatever tool that's easily accessible and affordable for your performance :cool:

And what about non-dance mixes? Any opportunities? sory a bit off-topic. I sometimes like to make offline mixes (just rendering them to big file), are they of any use, because one day I will want to share them with the world

just try sending your mixes to small clubs. at first they will put you at a 9 to 10 o clock schedule in a small room at the back of the club but you'll have to work your way up there!

Making music is a tough part, so if you dedicate your time to music, you'll perform better without any guidance.
Initially, download some DJing Softwares and try your hands on it. Check out Youtube for tutorials and make some samples. By that, you will get to know your skill sets better. You need to have knowledge of Virtual DJ and real DJ sets, and mixing and editing and a little experience of fruity loops, but basically you can opt for a course like sound engineering or you can find various institutions who gives such courses with certification.
Simply start remixing songs on Virtual DJ and fruity loops is an another advance step.

First of all i bought cheap equipment Numark.
Secondly i started practice and learned mixing music.
After that i went to DJ School and said "Can you give me guarantee that i will play in a club?"
They said - Yes. Finally i have been playing in the club after course

Throw parties... hang about with people who throw parties. Become part of a scene that your style most fits with.

COLLAB WITH AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE... Simply for the sake of it.

Start using the position you have as a producers to move into djing. There are tons of label based club nights. Even if you don't own the label you are signed to you can still effectively use them as leverage to move you into djing.

Maybe you could do a trade off with a DJ who's looking to get into producing who's in your area. You teach them how to make tunes and they teach you how to become a DJ.

You could still go to a DJ school and learn too. The main advantage will be the equipment, it will all be pro equipment you find in clubs.

Another option is online radio stations, a 1 hour or 2 hour slot will help you grow fast by putting yourself in a live environment.

You will mistakes, who doesn't?

Just keep pushing and putting yourself out there.

I really doubt mixing will be that hard for you coming from a producers background. You already understand the principles and the structure of the music you make, the only thing that will be unfamiliar to you is the equipment you use to do your sets on.

If your aim is to do live gig's, which I'm sure it is, then you should be thinking about what equipment is already in the clubs.

Turntables, cdjs and a pro mixer (club mixer)

Ideally this is what you want to be practicing on frequently so that when you do a gig with pro gear installed your not scared of the equipment.

Keep practicing and when you talk to promoters, dj's, clubs etc use the label as your pitch to get you gigs and put on shows

First of all, it's a good thing, you are a producer. Definitely you have huge connections with other music lovers, If yes, then you can easily start your Dj career. It would be very easy for you.

Back