How To Save Bent Records?

sshimosawa

We've all done it. We all hate it.

Got home from the record store, threw some vinyl on, waiting for that killer break - to scratch/ blend/ mix into your next track. And BAM, you realize that the record is freaking bent - you back cue - hoping - that you didnt just fight for this last copy, and your sad prediction comes true. Now what do you do? The hand bendy method works for slightly bent vinyl, but rarely keeps.

Anyone know the formula for FLATTENING vinyl?

Over the years, people have told me their own methods. Some work, some do not. Just curious if there are any more.....

do a search on this forum...
look up "warped vinyl"

there's a lot of stuff on here about it...
search function is at the bottom right of the screen

My friendly mailman bent one of mine in a circle to fit in the mailbox, and it somehow reversed what was described as a "slight warp".
A more conservative route would be to try to heat it with a hairdryer and bend it a little or put it in the over. I started to try the latter method but stopped when I read on and discovered that if you screw up, your house may smell like vinyl. I determined that it would be an experiment best tried in someone else's place when they were not around, and you can simply deny any knowledge of it if something goes wrong :).
-Peasant Nikon

i thought if u heat it up, it'll mess up the grooves badly, not sure though

anyways, i need a full proof method. alot of my records are warped, don't know why. but i've tryed to put it under a bunch of weight, and it didnt' seem to do ANYTHING. i put it under all my school books for 3 days, and no results.

any other ways???????

Wow. It has been discussed before. Mediator, kill this thread if you'd like. Sorry.

But for those of your reading, DO NOT try the oven method. Because of the differentials in vinyl, acetate, weight, pressing - there are too many variables to get an accurate read. I've cooked a stack of records trying to get it right, and at the end of the day, realized that it varies according to record. The blow dryer and belly idea are quite good.

Wow. It has been discussed before. Mediator, kill this thread if you'd like. Sorry.

haha don't worry about it man! :D If we started to delete all new threads that were discussed before we'd have a site of articles, not a forum. Besides, FP gets lots of new members all the time so you might get new feedback when asking the question again.

-Gene

yeah!

its seems like all we do is talk about the same things and answer the same questions.... i never really seem to get tried of doing it though.... usually learn a few new things and i remember asking the same questions before i knew the answers....
heck, some questions we're still arguing about the answers:D :D

Haha exactly Infradead. I bet if there was a count there are some topics with 25 threads started on them or more. But we love it.

To fix my slightly warped vinyl I just bent it in my hands.
Seems to work sometimes.
I don't trust many other methods. But then again I don't have like unplayable bent records.

But what seems to work in my head, haha, would be to hairdryer the MIDDLE of the record, and then work on getting it flat. That way you don't screw up the grooves but still might get the right flattening. Maybe it just depends on how your record is bent.

:)

Good points infradead and dj /-/2o. I couldn't agree more. Repetition of even the "dumbest" of topics breeds specific and updated understanding. And besides, who's to say what the "dumb" topics are anyway? What if that "dumb" or "silly" topic was exactly what someone was looking for or could contribute too? Great forums are made by the "silly" balanced w/the deep.

But on THIS topic, actually >I< have a question:

Has anyone discovered/tried a way to repunch an off-center whole in a single???

Apogee. This worked for me, not saying it will work for you. I duct taped the hole on both sides of the (off the mark) record. Then, I lined it up correctly with another record.

Then drilled a hole. It worked, no joke.

I remember i won a primus record, which is a alternative band, in the mail. it was autographed and it was so sweet to have but it came in the mail thru ups, and it was warped when i got it back then. i was mad, but after it sitting in my crate pressed up agaisnt other vinyl...it went back to normal:) try leaving it pressed in the middle of the rest of your vinyls for a long time that should work.

B-unit they sent u Pork Soda, didn't they? I love "my name is mud", that bassline is phuckin crazy!
LevLove

Primus also sings the Southpark theme song.

Last edited:
Back