How to Mix Jungle ?

I've been spining Jungle/D&B for the last 2 years. The one thing I can tell you is that it's a bit different mixing from any other Genre. However much like Techno D&B is about layering your traxx properly and mixing in and out quickly.......somewhere around the 3-4 minute mark is what you're shooting for. I say learn to count the beats and go from there........most D&B traxx are written in 4/4. I've heard a couple of different suggestion about matching snares and hi hats....I say forget the hi hats they are not as important as you snares and drum kicks. I say match the first beat of the track with that of the 1st beat of the outgoing track and you'll be ok. Don't get so frustrated with your mixing tho...........remember you're new to this game and it's going to take some tim for you to get used to the BPM and how to properly mix the traxx, I personally took about a year to finally really start getting some longer mixes in, and even now I still mess up every now and then, part of being a DJ good days and bad days. Anyways tho give it time and practice, I suggest that you start going to party's and really paying attention to the D&B DJ's tho, you really can learn alot that way. Hope this helps a lil'. ohhh BTW BPM's are useless.
Peace,
sergio:p :p :p :p

V said:
mix jungle??? what a mess that would sound like
are you talking about me? im not talking about mixing them all together. im talking about going from on genre to another after a couple of songs. and it sounded sweet.:eek:

another addition to my older reply:

don't forget the 32 bar rules...

in many tracks, after the drum "sample" has been looped 32 times, "something special" happens :)

and most melodies are based on a repetition of 4 bars....

and about the groove discussion...

if you got 180bpm it's only natural that you can mix in a track with 90 bpm... cause in the end, the tempo is "actually" the same

Here's a tip for mixing DnB:

Get a deck, get an other deck and get a mixer. Put the mixer inbetween the to decks connect it all up. Buy some DNB records and practice.

I have never seen any sites for D&B that tell you how to mix it. As far as hip-hop all I know is a couple of TurnTablism sites check out www.turtablism.com or www.battlesounds.com , these are both pretty good sites. TrUthfully tho I think that web sites, videos and or reading materials for DJ'ing are a waste of time. All tho they might be helpful to a point there not gonna tell you how to do everything. You gotta figure all that stuff out on your own or through friends. Not only that but learning to spin is a hands on type of learning & unless you got a TV or Computer in front of you while you're spinin then it's gonnna be difficult to remember everything the video says. I say just practice,practice & more practice.

:monkey:

Jungle Master Deceptikon speaks on mixing jungle

Well, the usual way I've gotten along with jungle is going to the fastest beat of the song you can move too. For example a lot of jungle traks have super fast hi-hats. I there are no hi-hats then get yourself moving
to about double the speed (tapping your foot, bouncing, etc.) I found that it's easier to match the super fast stuff than slower applications.
Also, there are at least fifty types of jungle. I personally love the dark and hard stuff but a lot of people like the lighter more "jazzy" sound. The good thing about jungle is it kind of has a intensity factor that builds up over time. I suggest starting with a more lighter style first for an intro (if you're recording) then just let it fly off the handle with some wicked tech-step or nightmare ragga.
Don't just throw any old track in there. Using any record with trance may sound okay depending on how you mix it but it's not like trance in that you can easily match two beats. The beat patterns are much more complex so make sure you have a good grasp on the actual beat of the song.
Definitly the best part about jungle is the ability to
throw every trick in the book out there. If you have mad enough skills (like me for example) you can juggle jungle and transform it into wicked hip-hop. That takes the quickness though. Another trick for jungle is scratching. Yet another trick for jungle is hip-hop acapella mixing. Mixing acapellas can be tight as hell if you do it right (like R.A.W. [B-boy3000]. I did a super tight mix with some KRS-One acapella.
Another pretty good thing to do it beat cutting (i.e. using the vertical faders to chop the beat of the track.) This can be hard to do as jungle is very fast but if you can do it you'l use it over and over again.
If you think you can hang with the jungle sound then by all means, go for it. Just don't spin lame **** and you'll be fine.

Jungle Master SUPREME,
DJ Deceptikon
Producer / DJ

Last edited:
superflash said:
Here's a tip for mixing DnB:

Get a deck, get an other deck and get a mixer. Put the mixer inbetween the to decks connect it all up. Buy some DNB records and practice.

I never knew that something could come that fast out of my nose just by reading something.

I posted this not too long ago in another DnB/Jungle technique related thread, hope it helps:
(BTW, is there a way to link to previous threads in here when we post? I mean besides pasting that mess in address box?)

Posted 05/30/01:
Don't think of it as D R U M & B A S S.
Think of it as just drum and bass.
It's not some giant unmixable monster. It's just a track that SEEMS more complex because of the kind of multi-layering and syncopation within the genre. But at the heart of most every dnb track is a basic 2/4 or 4/4 beat just like the rest. All you have to do is relax and listen for it.

It's not uncommon, for example, to find half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, and thirty-secondth notes everywhere in a track in various forms (i.e. kick, toms, snares, high-hat, synths, voices etc.) that alter their syncopation structure several times; which ones you choose to pick up on and use as your "guiding beat" is up to you, but the others can form the backdrop for some amazing mixes as well.

All of this aside, however, at this stage in the game I'd highly recommend sticking to quarter notes. They're always there even if "they're not there", really. In other words, no matter what craziness is going on, break the track into recognizable measures and break those measures into quarter notes whether there's a "note" there or not. The kick bass is usually a great indicator of where the main portion of the track structure is, and is also a great indicator of where one loop stops and another begins. Listen to it until you recognize the pattern, put a regular quarter note count relation to it in your mind (1,2,3,4 2,2,3,4) and, again, you're on your way.

Later you'll start to recognize the jazz-like and jazz-based nature to drum and bass and use it to make great (and more importantly INTERESTING) mixes. In fact, because of the many layers in most tracks based on breaks, with time and practice it can be even easier to detect and use the different syncopations to your creative advantage than any other kind of music. To me, this is one of the best parts of DnB, and is something that distinguishes it from any other genre. It's never boring and can be mixed many ways.

good practice

Drop
Two
Three
Four

I've been mixing jungle beats into hip hop lately. Basically, I've found that the hip hop track has to be really slow, and the jungle track has to sped up a sh#tload. It sounds really good sometimes, even though the jungle is often "undancably" fast when the mix drops. I think I might go get some breakbeat records that are naturally closer in BPM's to hip hop beats. Anybody know of some breakbeat records w/ similar layouts to, say, the Jungle Tools series (i.e. battle layout, minimalist tracks)?

Nervous records makes som really really good break trax and you can pick thoose up anywhere. Are you sure you're having to sow down hip hop and speeding up Jungle? When I have done this is the past it's been the opposite. Anywas, also try Jump Up Jungle instead of whatever you're using, it's much slower on BPM and it has alot of hip-hop influence. Look at **** by Aphrodite,Mickey Finn,Dope Dragon. These might be a bit more suitable for what you're trying to do.:cheers:

I'll take in all these sugestion .. its all good tho, with any genre of music, I believe its all about feeling the beats and knowing your tracks. ANyways jungle (to me) is F#$king tight, and even tho im more focused on other genre's, i think I'll always dig those sounds.

peace :monkey:

stephen

break down your track into quarter notes...

mix the whole drum loop by beat matching the first kick of the loops...

watch the "big picture": ie, breakdown, the 32 drum loops rule, etc.

talking bout d&b mixing, that new Ed Rush & Optival sure has a nice breakdown, cept it's a bit of a hybrid :)

Back