How to Mix Jungle ?

N

Nikoluvbliss

ATTENTION JUNGLE HEADS!!!!!!!!
I'm branching out and leaving my safe lil world of techno, electro, n trance. Today i picked up a pretty tight jungle track called ROLLOUT REMIX by Dj Shiro, along with that I bought i couple more jungle traxs (just 4 fun :eek: )

-----Does anyone have any tips to lend me on mixing such powerful music?

eg- Do you guys have to take in the BPM factor as much as you would when mixing a more steady beat?

THanks

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
When mixing Jungle/D&B, I like to match up the snares. This works especially well with D&B, as jungle snare lines tend to be a bit cluttered with ghost notes (amen, anyone?)... :D

go with the first kick of one bar, caus the snares especially in jungle vary

snares is good for the beginning tho

I say follow the hihats, I'm a house DJ but I like to mix up some jungle, breakstep (pitched to +8 heh heh) and breakbeats from time to time.

are BPM's important at all with jungle n d'nb?

:p stephen

As far as BPM counters and things like that go not really - just because jungle has so many stressed sounds in each song that BPM counter's usually end up picking up more than one hit (make sense? also because the beat is so broken). However BPM DOES matter if you simply mean the tempo of the song - ie. yes the tempo of each song has to be matched (via pitch) just as perfectly as in trance or house mixes (that is if you want ot be good). Jungle mixing is not - as some think - simply a series of X-fader "slam-mixes".

Last edited by a moderator:
Jungle BPM can be counted too! Only not by those shitty BPM counters on yer mixer.
Anyway, so, yeah, the tempo does matter (of course), just try to 'analyse' the breaks (if they're complicated) and match them in bars, using the snares or just listening to the entire break
(only matching the snares is indeed good for starting out but there are better methods out there)

:) I agree

I don't see any point in spending good vinyl money on a BPM Counter, (Across the genre's )bpm counters are a waste of money. (to me atleast) :D

*thanks for the Insight

(only matching the snares is indeed good for starting out but there are better methods out there)

what are some of the better methods?

im just listening to one of my earlier mixes, and its really frustrating because its so good.. this whole week, my mixing has just been crap.. no fun, and bad technique..

but to get back to the main point, could you please explain some better methods of mixing jungle/drumnbass?

Jkob

It's all about the groove.

It's not the speed of the beats for me that does it but the groove!

Drum and bass/Jungle can go up to 180 bpm orso (well even faster), but you can mix in hiphopbeats orso wich lay around 90 (And you can make it feel like 90 bpm for a while if you want), or whatever.
It's about the groove especially with Jungle and drum and Bass! (Well that's how i feel it).

Mixing:
Jungle for me is more Ragga but also has more 'life' variatons so keep attention to the mixing, you probarbly have the pich correct but then the record can 'jump' around a bit so keep that in mind. Well drum and bass is more electric so it's a bit easier, eventhough there could be wild variations in breaks.

The 'older' jungle i sometimes have played did that.
Ever tried to mix old Italo or Disco, or even some Udjit Boys or whatever....? Then you know what i mean.

Enzo

Labellinks

Enzo said:
It's all about the groove.
It's not the speed of the beats for me that does it but the groove!
yeah I agree that you have to keep it rolling but and that's why BPM IS important! you can't just throw a 160BPM track into something much faster.
Anyway, to answer jcob:
if you spin minimal 2step d&b, matching the snares can be good enough
however, this doesn't always work (for me)
I always try to see breaks as a whole, and mix em that way: pay attention to more than just the snares, that way you can find much more interesting ways of mixing, if you see what I mean
also, mix intros: match the breaks, then throw a tune in from the start (intro): this sounds really good if you do it well
peace

I agree... with jungle it is more about structure, at least in a strange jungle sort of way! :) . . . at least when I mix it I pay more attention to the individual measures and what-not - - - - although this may be because I love to put a few "slams" in a few mixes to tease em.

yeah I agree that you have to keep it rolling but and that's why BPM IS important! you can't just throw a 160BPM track into something much faster

Yes `finding the correct speed´, but it has nothing to do with drum and bass especially, it goed for every kind of music. Pretty obvious though.

Enzo

i've never actually thought about mixing drumnbass with hip hop, just tried it and sounds great!!

east flatbush project - tried by 12
mixed with
k - no hands..

very very nice sound

and i've found it easier to match the first kick of each measure, as somebody said in this, or another post.. when focusing on the snares, i easily get too distracted , and even though i think theyre pretty matched, one is a bit off..

bit harder to hear the first kick though

Jkob

well..
for the Belgian people
dj Brekbit (from Switch) started his set with a tune from the 'Late Night Blues EP' from Blame (on Good Looking), a slow track, and then he mixed a nice fast roller into it, with an amazing result
I think it takes some skills to do this right tho
peace

Jcob..
yes you're right
in fact, I couldn't remember the name, so I went to the website and looked it up
but I was still wrong :D

what i do is catch the first beat of the measure and throw it into the first beat of the live rekkid's measure

of course you have to have the speed right or else u get trainwrecks anyways

im going to have to agree with mattu on this one!;)
(those high hats work) i played a set today just by myself that started out jungle then to some d&b then i kicked on some break beats (wich im really starting to like ) to some house. was pretty cool!:p

Back