Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Mix Jungle ?

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    ATTENTION JUNGLE HEADS!!!!!!!!
    I'm branching out and leaving my safe lil world of techno, electro, n trance. Today i picked up a pretty tight jungle track called ROLLOUT REMIX by Dj Shiro, along with that I bought i couple more jungle traxs (just 4 fun :eek: )

-----Does anyone have any tips to lend me on mixing such powerful music?

eg- Do you guys have to take in the BPM factor as much as you would when mixing a more steady beat?

THanks

Stephen
    Last edited by Nikoluvbliss; 04-24-2001 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    When mixing Jungle/D&B, I like to match up the snares. This works especially well with D&B, as jungle snare lines tend to be a bit cluttered with ghost notes (amen, anyone?)...
    _knee_deep_

Thanks
    go with the first kick of one bar, caus the snares especially in jungle vary

snares is good for the beginning tho

Thanks
    I say follow the hihats, I'm a house DJ but I like to mix up some jungle, breakstep (pitched to +8 heh heh) and breakbeats from time to time.
    [url=http://www.cosmicdub.com]WWW.COSMICDUB.COM - back like cooked crack[/url]

Thanks
    are BPM's important at all with jungle n d'nb?

stephen
    Monkeys very sensibly refrain from speech, lest they should be set to earn their livings.

Kenneth Grahame

Thanks

Arrow

As far as BPM counters and things like that go not really - just because jungle has so many stressed sounds in each song that BPM counter's usually end up picking up more than one hit (make sense? also because the beat is so broken). However BPM DOES matter if you simply mean the tempo of the song - ie. yes the tempo of each song has to be matched (via pitch) just as perfectly as in trance or house mixes (that is if you want ot be good). Jungle mixing is not - as some think - simply a series of X-fader "slam-mixes".
    Last edited by Ryall; 04-25-2001 at 10:08 AM.
    -=P.L.U.R.=-
    Ryall

more n o i s e please!

Thanks
    Jungle BPM can be counted too! Only not by those shitty BPM counters on yer mixer.
    Anyway, so, yeah, the tempo does matter (of course), just try to 'analyse' the breaks (if they're complicated) and match them in bars, using the snares or just listening to the entire break
    (only matching the snares is indeed good for starting out but there are better methods out there)
    [SIZE=1][url=http://www.phuturesoul.com/]Phuturesoul Dot Com [/url][/SIZE]

Thanks
    I agree

I don't see any point in spending good vinyl money on a BPM Counter, (Across the genre's )bpm counters are a waste of money. (to me atleast)

*thanks for the Insight
    Monkeys very sensibly refrain from speech, lest they should be set to earn their livings.

Kenneth Grahame

Thanks
    (only matching the snares is indeed good for starting out but there are better methods out there)
    what are some of the better methods?

im just listening to one of my earlier mixes, and its really frustrating because its so good.. this whole week, my mixing has just been crap.. no fun, and bad technique..

but to get back to the main point, could you please explain some better methods of mixing jungle/drumnbass?

Jkob

Thanks
    It's all about the groove.

It's not the speed of the beats for me that does it but the groove!

Drum and bass/Jungle can go up to 180 bpm orso (well even faster), but you can mix in hiphopbeats orso wich lay around 90 (And you can make it feel like 90 bpm for a while if you want), or whatever.
    It's about the groove especially with Jungle and drum and Bass! (Well that's how i feel it).

Mixing:
    Jungle for me is more Ragga but also has more 'life' variatons so keep attention to the mixing, you probarbly have the pich correct but then the record can 'jump' around a bit so keep that in mind. Well drum and bass is more electric so it's a bit easier, eventhough there could be wild variations in breaks.

The 'older' jungle i sometimes have played did that.
    Ever tried to mix old Italo or Disco, or even some Udjit Boys or whatever....? Then you know what i mean.

Enzo

Labellinks

Thread Information