How do you sort your records?

B

bumboclott

I just started collecting vinyl almost a year ago, and it's just getting out of hand. I find that I mix better if my records are all organized and easy to find.

My collection is mainly Hip Hop + R&B, so I categorize all my records in 5 main sections:

1) Recent Hip Hop & R&B (97 and above)
2) Old School Hip Hop + R&B(96 and below)
3) Crunk \ Southern Hip Hop
4) Uptempo Hip Hop + R&B (fast tempo songs like Destiny's Child "Lose My Breath"...)
5) Hip Hop\R&B LPs \ Compilations \ Battle Records

How do you guys sort out your records? I know it's a matter of preference.. i'm just trying to get ideas on how I can improve the way I sort my records.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i do clusters of similar sounds

i play house music

so i have chunks of--dub house
tech house
electro house
weird house....
etc.

personal preference is the answer
no set way

some guys do alphabeticall---i dont have the memory 4 that **** though

should be interesting to see what people do here. I have no order whatsoever and its a ***** finding what i want. i was hoping to do it by bpm but im too lazy, anybody know a cheap bpm counter which really works? i dont particularly want to sit there with a stop watch for hours on end :(

Jitters said:
should be interesting to see what people do here. I have no order whatsoever and its a ***** finding what i want. i was hoping to do it by bpm but im too lazy, anybody know a cheap bpm counter which really works? i dont particularly want to sit there with a stop watch for hours on end :(

Yeah, I have mine by BPM. Its all hip hop, so that makes it a bit easier, because there isn't a huge range of BPM's. And yes, I sit for hours on end counting them out myself. I don't trust anything else...even though I'm off by 1 or 2 sometimes. :p

Try this: Tap Tempo

It works, but unless you have superb space-bar control, its not completely accurate.

Peace!

I asked this very question a long time ago and got some really good answers. When i get some time ill search for it if someone else doent.

I used to do it alpabetically... then by BPM, but honestly that got too boring for me. Your set begins to sounds too predictable. Now, my crate is pretty random (though i DON'T change it often). Like, literally just randomize your crate and see how different your mix sounds. You'll notice that you won't tend to follow certain songs with others. When you buy a new record, place it in your crate, like you place a chosen card from a deck. And no I don't have any problem finding a particular song, you just have to know it well. Try it out sometime; let me know how it goes.

I keep them in the right genre,s...i can usally know where my nex tune is if i need it.no perticuler order

MUSIC IS OUR LAST FOUNDATION

looking around my room; I gots 5 4' shelves of house, 2 of hip hop (no real organization other than breaks, techno, vocal, deep and funky; and with hip hop it's more of a hodgepodge specifically 'cuz of the bpm's being so close). Below that 3 shelves of rock; eclectic and comedy/spoken word (samplarific!) and on the other wall my jazz and psyche collection. Now it gets interesting. At the floor level I gots all the death metal and punk I used to treasure and the other shelf is all hip hop which, for one reason or another, I just don't play out that often or have decided it's junk but is worth holding onto. Beside that and beside the floor monitor is a stack of discards (stuff I'll trade next time I'm in the city) and another pile of stuff I haven't sorted through yet - I likea the thrift shops and reuseit centers. A full hard case split into two halves of stuff I'm really into right now and new stuff I'm working in; and the last two floor shelves are piles of recently played/found stuff I'm trying to work into upcoming gigs. Let's just say that when I get into cleaning up; it's a full coffee pot!

At home i organize my records by genre, mainly house, 80s, hiphop and r&b. Only my hiphop&rnb section is alphabetized (wish it was by bpm but im also sooo lazy). The crates i take out with me are usually by mostly bpm or combos and breaks at the end.

well i got to many to sort out!! something like 10,000 - 12,000 vinyl in my room and another few 000 in the garage which hasnt seen the light of day since i moved in 3 years ago!! and about 4500 on my final scratch!!

i do have a selection of samplers, speaches, origianal rare gvooves,brain freeze selection, then with all the albums and all the 12" singles are usually set out by artist or label which just looks tidy!! but when it comes to the record box, i grab my new tunes, party breaks, hip hop, r n b, few randoms for doing bootlegs, samplers and just take my final scratch mainly to pubs for requests! depends if we just got a set for an hour or 2 or if were doing the night!!

most of my tunes though i know by the spine so sifting through for what i want doesnt take long!!

Back