How do you DJ?

Ekoli

What's the best cheapest gear you can buy??
Also, how do you even DJ? AND what's the best way to get gigs as a DJ

I would recommend not going too cheap... because you will eventually want to upgrade... depending on what type of music you are trying to use it really varies greatly... are you trying to scratch? Mix? Play your own songs? If its scratching you should go with the trusted turntables, mixer, serato/traktor route. I've been djing for years and still use my turntables.... check my link if interested.... if its hip hop you're interested in id definitely stick with turntables but if you're just mixing you can go the digital route... also you can just use a daw like ableton to mix and play your own clips and add effects live... best thing to do is to research and see what's best for you... there are so many different options nowadays...

You dj by manipulating the speed of songs and manipulating the song to match bpm..a.also you are adding effects and scratches to the songs if that's your style.... if you're doing gigs your job is to know what songs get the crowd moving... your job is to have every one Vibing with the music...best way to get gigs is to practice and get yourself out there... start doing any type of gigs... house parties, b'day parties, school dances.... get your experience and name out there.... hope that helped a little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8I6K7pGKVc

Last edited:
Going cheap? your still going to be spending a good few hundred my man.

and to explain how to DJ depends on what kind of DJ you're looking to become.

Beatmatch DJ will play two tracks and the same time and exchange the tracks at a specific point which can sometimes give off the effect that only one track has been played but really they have played many.

You should just research find out what equipment suits you best then invest and practice!

I would recommend not going too cheap... because you will eventually want to upgrade... depending on what type of music you are trying to use it really varies greatly... are you trying to scratch? Mix? Play your own songs? If its scratching you should go with the trusted turntables, mixer, serato/traktor route. I've been djing for years and still use my turntables.... check my link if interested.... if its hip hop you're interested in id definitely stick with turntables but if you're just mixing you can go the digital route... also you can just use a daw like ableton to mix and play your own clips and add effects live... best thing to do is to research and see what's best for you... there are so many different options nowadays...<br>
<br>
You dj by manipulating the speed of songs and manipulating the song to match bpm..a.also you are adding effects and scratches to the songs if that's your style.... if you're doing gigs your job is to know what songs get the crowd moving... your job is to have every one Vibing with the music...best way to get gigs is to practice and get yourself out there... start doing any type of gigs... house parties, b'day parties, school dances.... get your experience and name out there.... hope that helped a little <br>
<br>
I'm just trying to use it for mixing... and thank you so much!<br>
<br>

when i started dj' ing i bought a cheap set. i regret that. i lost my motivation because of the stuff that didn't work well, so i couldnt practice well and the times that i got the chance of playing in a club i didnt know how to use the stuff that was there (Pioneer).
Nevertheless, times have changed: it is now possible to take your macbook to a club and use the controller you like, with it. But still then, you need good equipment.

Using only my midi keyboard with assignable knobs and pads, I listen to songs and try to overlap the two... combining 2 beats to make 1 new one, takes a lot of practice with timing and getting the right songs to fit together!

when i started dj' ing i bought a cheap set. i regret that. i lost my motivation because of the stuff that didn't work well, so i couldnt practice well and the times that i got the chance of playing in a club i didnt know how to use the stuff that was there (Pioneer).

These days just get a copy of Traktor, get some tracks of a simular BPM and away you go - the focus of a DJs set now (unless they spin vinyl) isn't the quality of the beatmatching anymore (as everyone can hit a sync button) its more how they use FX and add other elements. Its easy to become a tight-mixing digital DJ now, but hard to stand above the crowd by doing something innovative

If you are serious you eventually will want to get some real equipment... but if you aren't sure or you just want to start... go grab a Numark Mixtrack Pro (one, two or Three), load up youtube and type How to DJ.

You can get a used Mixtrack pro for about $150+ or get a brand new Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 for $250.. You will be able to do most of what you're looking for and see if it's for you... if it is and you want to start rockin' parties, you can upgrade.

Start small, if you buy Mixtrack new you get 30 days to figure out if it's for you (you will know very quickly)

I use a Traktor S4.

Not specific technique but it really comes down to understanding your music library. What it has to offer and the actual structure of the songs that make up the library. If you know the in's and out's of your music it clicks much easier when you're looking for songs to mix into and out of.

Don't think about it too hard as well. Music is all about feeling, right? So play whatever feels just that -- right!

Back