How to connect two amps to one mixer?

palahniuk

Ok, on friday I have a "bigger than usual" gig. The venue needs more than two speakers (which is what I currently own). Anyways I'm planning on renting another pair of speakers with an amp. The problem is: I'm not sure how to make the connection. I mean; how do I connect two amps to one mixer??

I own a Vestax Pmc 07. I was thinking of just connecting one of the amps to the "session in" feature of the mixer. there I can control the volume of those extra speakers independently. I don't have the extra speakers with me right now so I cannot verify if my idea would work. That's why I posted the question here...

Thanx

the 07 has both RCA and TRS Master outputs. therefore you can connect a separate amp to each of those outputs.

simple.

Session In is an input, not an output, so that will not work. You need to both sets of outs. Hopefully one of the amps will have unbalanced inputs. If not, maybe you can get something like the Stanton ISM-3 that acts kind of like a direct input box, and has two sets of balanced outs...

or radio shack sells piggyback rca cables. they have "piggyback" holes on the back of one end of the plugs that you can attach another set of rca cables to, then have your mixer attached to 2 different amps. i use them at home, one end going to my amp the other to my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
palahniuk said:
so what I need is 2 cables that have 1/4 ends?

arrrgh. don't listen to everyone else.

what you need:

1. 1st set of cables that are 1/4 at one end and at the other end, whatever amp #1 takes as input. Connect the 1/4 to your 1/4 master out and the other end to the input of amp #1.

2. 2nd set of cables that are RCA at one end and at the other end, whatever amp #2 takes as input. Connect the RCA to your RCA master out and the other end to the input of amp #2.

don't use piggy-back RCA's, they degrade your sound quite a lot.

I have a Rane SM26 for situations like this.

One mixer output to 6 speaker channels, independent level/pans. :)

Back