Help: Kit for Mixing/Scratching

a_cuts

Yo,

Might be a bit off topic for this forum, but I know i'll get some good feedback from you guys, so here we go;

I'm gettin involved with a Local Authority project to teach some young teens how to mix n stuff. They have a limited budget to purchase kit so I need some opinions on 'lower- end, but good' TTs - if I can convince them to get 1200/1210s though it will be problem solved :)

Obviously, belt- drives are not even worth considering (from experience!) At the moment I'm think about Numark TT200/ TT500 - anyone use these?

Then I need a mixer! Again if it were up to me we'd be getting a Rane :) but the cash ain't gonna allow it :(
It's just a bit of fun for them and primarily I think we'll be focusing on beat mixing, but if a scratchin' opportunity arises I'm gonna need a mixer with curve control. Again any ideas from 1st hand experience would be most welcome.

I have already raised the idea of 2nd hand 1200/1210s, but being an official body they want receipts, warranty etc

At the end of the day you get what you pay in this game, but from time to time a bargain like the 707 comes along, so...

...if anyone can recommend any good kit without a big pice tag, please give let me know.

pz

a

befor looking at new!! if you need a recipt!! remember, sound and lighting hire places, offer a tidy price and they may let some 2nd hand equiptment go, and it will be serviced!!

we set up a simular thing!!and got some equiptment free to hire from such places too, just for putting there name along with local paper adds and on leaflets, free is all ways better!

tell the people who are doing the loan, im guessing that it is probably a local council thing or done through an arts centre!! they wouldt mind forking out for good stuff if they can get a gradual return on it! just explain in full that getting good stuff will mean that the classes will be more efficient and will be taken more as a professional thing!! if you made an inquiry to then about a studio production set up which they have probably funded, they would have got what they need!! so you should to!!

comments to drop!
cheaper equiptment will NOT last as long, and with the amount of young, inexperienced people usuing them, damage may occur and with cheaper goods they do not and will not cover for the same misshaps as a company such as technics!! and their suppliers!

handleing of proffessional equiptment is better for teaching purposes, and using this stuff will encurage more to come back, these kind of semina workshops DO work!! and WILL take off!!

We have a thing called Princes Trust and other funding places for this kind of thing!! im not sure where in the world you are, but im sure you could use more than one fund source, contact your local council, youth work assosiation, arts centre, colleges for more ideas!! they no where funds are held!!

if it does come down to it and you need cheaper equiptment!!

give an idea of your budget, that would make it easyer to suggest things!

Thanks for your input and quick response dude :) I'm having a meeting to start the ball rolling soon, so I take that on board :cheers:

Once I know more detail I'll be able to be more specific. But what you've said there makes perfect sense.

Thanks again

a

I have 2 TT-500's and I can honestly say it is the best turntable I have ever used.
I have used: Vestax, The Grand master technics, stantons, and this is by far the best.
The Torque is unbelievalble and it has all the features you could want. (minus the bpm counter but that for pussies anyway :D!
I have used this Turntable for mixing and scratching and the pitch is extremely accurate. And the fact that it has a straight tonearm and s tonearm make it a viable solution for all needs.
Also Skip resistance is prime.
Happy Buying :)

Chris,

try www.whybuynew.co.uk

I have seen some second hand technics on there for fairly cheap, AND you get a warrantee etc as they refurbish all equipment before sending it out to the masses once again :D

also they do mixers on there, so have a look for something like a second hand Vestax PMC05 or something, depends what you want really.

But, yeah go on there email the company and ask what they do for warrantee and returns whatever else, explain your position they MAY even give more discount as its a project and some companies just give more discount if you ask. (if ya dont ask ya dont get)

anyhoo, im talking sh!t

so, good luck

Will

Yo, thanks for the replies peeps,

this will be taking off some time in early '06, so I still have some time to consider options for kit etc.

Will - thanks for the link man, I think they would be prepared to buy like that, but until we all meet after xmas I don't know for sure. Another thing we got to get is tunes. HTFR do those 100 record random bundles - or buy 2 get one free!!! That's like 300 vinyl for £110!

And I can have some fun sortin through them too :) Then I think we can get a handful for battle records to start things goin. (I am reluctant to loan out my own records to people who have never used TTs etc) :)

Thanks again guys,

peace

Back