Guitar callous affecting scratching?

gilberto-san

space cowboy
When you start playing the guitar, it really hurts your fingers. And over the next few weeks your fingertips develop a callous for protection and it stops hurting. Well, I really want to learn to play the guitar, but I afraid the callous is going to dry my fingertips and affect my record control when scratching. My left hand is my main record hand and would-be calloused guitar hand. I'm not willing to sacrifice my scratching for the guitar. Is this going to be a problem? Anyone here do both?

Thanks.

i had a couple of friends that did both...to my knowledge the callous shouldn't affect your scratching ability...

ull be able to do both playing guitar dosent dry out ur hands or fingure tips its just hard skin thats all and if somthing happens then use hand cream b4 u do a set

I do both extensively. The calluses only slightly affect the grip of my fingertips on my left hand, but then again, I'd been playing guitar for years before I started scratching so I've never known the difference. Maybe when you're starting out on the guitar, the developing calluses might hinder you since there's a lot of flaking skin and such, but once your calluses are thick, and look pretty much like fingertips again, you should be good to go.

I'm more affected by clipping my nails than the calluses. For some reason my fader hands feel really weird after clipping my nails. Same deal with the guitar, it's kind of awkward for me to play immediately after clipping my nails. I heard that Segovia or somebody like that could listen to someone play his guitar and tell them how long it had been since they clipped their nails. So I guess it's not just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back