Got a DJing Opportunity but I can't DJ

BTMM

Born To Make Music
So I found an awesome DJing opportunity - the thing is all my mixes are done on Logic Pro, Audacity etc - I've never DJ'd officially (More of a producer) - Is it fairly normal to get a gig if I can just use a pre-mixed dj set? Can I tell the event promoters as well? I'm okay if anyone here thinks I'm a fake dj or whatever. My mixes are getting awesome feedback and if the crowd bounces to it, then I don't care. Just wanted to check if someone is already doing something similar? Thx!

If your going to get gigs your going to need to learn how to do live sets!

You might do great mixes in logic pro and audacity but in a live environment that won't work. You can't stand there and do nothing for an hour can you?

It's time for you to take it to the next level. If you have been doing mixes for a while you already have a good understanding of putting sets together.

If your not confident enough yet to use physical gear to do mixes, grab some dj software and start practicing or find a friend with some did gear and start practicing, you won't regret doing live sets in front of people especially if your sets are good !

Sounds like it's time for you to take this to the next level

Good luck

So I found an awesome DJing opportunity - the thing is all my mixes are done on Logic Pro, Audacity etc - I've never DJ'd officially (More of a producer) - Is it fairly normal to get a gig if I can just use a pre-mixed dj set? Can I tell the event promoters as well? I'm okay if anyone here thinks I'm a fake dj or whatever. My mixes are getting awesome feedback and if the crowd bounces to it, then I don't care. Just wanted to check if someone is already doing something similar? Thx!

If you're well versed in Logic, you really can't spend like 1 hour learning the basics of how to DJ with a software program and a controller? Ableton Live intro is like $100, and all you'd have to do is load your tracks, learn warping (which if the music is 4 on the floor is ridiculously easy) and press start at the correct time... Just saying. Also if it's a great DJing opportunity, the controller and/or needed software may pay for itself.

^ as above, Live intro is probably the easiest way to go about it, if you're more interested in a more conventional way of DJing then Traktor is quite easy to pick up the basics on as well

If I were in your shoes, I would think of one of two routes to quickly get me up to speed on how to put together a set and play it for a crowd. One, I'd look up YouTube videos of how to perform live in Ableton. Then I would do the same, but instead of Ableton, Serato tutorials (Serato is a bit more straightforward than Ableton). Depending on whichever feels the best to you, go with that route and then go deeper in your learning. You'll likely need some new gear for both routes but you can get started on the cheap and upgrade later.

If you been producing for while, Djing should be easy to learn for you, i would try to learn it, maybe traktor would be a nice way to start
djing its really fun also

what you can do is prepare the tracks that you will play ( like a playlist) so you can focus only on the transitions

take the opportunity, you wont regret it

It depends on the type of event. If you're playing to an open minded crowd & have been told a specific vibe to play there shouldn't be a problem with mixing with an Ableton session or something similar.

If it's a event that you're expected to be on your toes and play well to a crowd with no specific direction and are getting requests maybe turn it down. Local gigs seem special at the beginning, but they are easy to get once you're skilled and perform well.

In my opinion you should practice at home until you're ready - while at the same time building up a fanbase with content online (like you've been doing). Then go in, kill it, & open up doors for yourself. Your reputation matters in the DJ/Club industry, so going in and knowingly doing a bad job might do more harm than good. Not saying not to take risks, but taking a DJ gig before learning to DJ doesn't seem like something that will end up being a good look for you. Taking a gig after practicing everyday at home for 6 months (at least) is a better idea. That way the next time this opportunity comes you can capitalize on it by impressing everyone.

Back