Good turntables for scratching AND sampling?

NinjaNess

I've never owned a turntable, so Im really new at this. I was wondering what turntables are good for scrathing and sampling. Would these be good?:

http://123dj.com/specials/mpack04.html

Also, would sscratching ruin the quality of the record? Like if I scrathed with it, and then I wanted to sample some part of it later, would it have worse quality than if I never scrathed with it?

Basically, you need Direct Drives of with at least 1.6kg/cm of torque. The TT-500's in that package are spot on for scratching. I've used them and they are brilliant, I also own the TTX-1, basically the same turntable and use them everyday for scratching. However what most newbie turntablists dont account for is the mixer.

The mixer in that package DJX-700, is made for mixing, not scratching, the crossfader on it probably wont cut the signal as quickly as required for a scratch DJ.

The cheapest scratch mixers I'll suggest are the Vestax PMC06 or the PMC 06.

If you can afford a set of Technics 1200/1210 turntables, go for them, or try and get some second hand. Otherwise the top end Numark/Stanton and Vestax are fine.

And yes, they will all be ok for sampling, the top end Stanton and the Numark you suggested even have a digital output.

Hope this helps.

NinjaNess said:
Also, would sscratching ruin the quality of the record? Like if I scrathed with it, and then I wanted to sample some part of it later, would it have worse quality than if I never scrathed with it?

Absolutely. Called scratch burn, and sounds like your samples are kind of sizzling at the points you switch your push or pull on the record. It doesn't happen instantly but over time it becomes noticeable. You can lessen the effect by not overweighting your needles, not using old needles, and by not angling your cartridges 45 degrees inward. This is very popular among scratch DJs, but it wears through your vinyl so fast. If you can't keep the needle from skipping, you need to practice a lighter touch.

Ok thanks everyone. So Im planning to get two TT 500's, one PMC 06 mixer,and 2 M44-7 cartridges. Is there anything else I would be needing?

Back