good mixing

First off...to me personally I think a good DJ should know how to blend !! Its the most basic part of mixing and is fundamental !

Most importantly though, a good DJ should know the music that they play...in and out. They should know how to cater to the crowd and have a good sense of what makes different crowds move.

Hands down the most important thing is knowing WHAT to play...and WHEN...

Anybody with a laptop and MP3's can go into a venue and play songs...but thats lame.

a good Dj should:

-know how to blend well
-know their songs inside and out
-know what might make a good setlist to cater to the crowd
-is able to adjust to people's reactions if things go awry.

You guys hit on all the points I would've put. But I think track selection is tops. You can have the skills of PVD and QBert, but if you can't select tracks and play to the crowd, you'll get boo'd off the tables. I'd take a wedding DJ who knows his music over someone who can only mix anyday.

well id guess what he probably means by it is get short mix routines set out so you can say play 2 tunes and have a selection of tunes of different styles which would go with the latter!! thus enableing your to look at the crowd and say, right!! i need to liven it up!! so you get the lil selection of tunes to roll of next which will liven things up but allso complement what you have just dropped!!

personally i dont like working out routines but knowing what will work and what wont is always a good thing to have fixed in your mind!! so you can keep things flowing but also read off the listeners, what should go next!!

just remember to kepp a good vibe fluctuating, bring em up, level it and then come down...and so on!! i personally like to keep a good fluctuation on this so you can cater to everyone, not just the hip hop heads, not just the r n b freaks and not just the peeps that like the party breaks!!

and interchange every so often with droppers!! clssic dropper..dead pres, hip hop!! for instants! i always just drop this tune!!cos some tunes just do the work for you, others need a mix to keep it running, interchange tempos and styles!!

mixing is just really a fundemental aspect of djing!! but knowing how and when to drop a tune or mix it, also just general timing is all probably more important, but that to me is only when you are playing hip hop derived music!!

keep the sets fresh by fluctuating them and remeber!! a quiet drop will build things back up on its own!! this not only just works when your mellowing out the set but also when your bringing it back to a hard step!!

but most importantly!!

know your music inside out!!

Back