A Few Questions

T

TheHomlessNinja

Hello all,
Got a few questions that need answering, hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction

1) My pitch fader is busted after someone spilled water into it..when I put it to +1 the record slows down to like -6. If I buy a replacement pitch fader like this: chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=SFDZ122N11 will this fix the problem?

2) What are ideal tone arm height / counterweight/ anti skate setting for Shure M44-7s? I got a pair but no instruction manual..

3) What are some good beat breaks LPs? I got a few of the DJ Rectangle ones, A-traks battle breaks etc but I need some fresh stuff

4) Is the Vestax PCV crossfader the only replacement fader available for the Vestax Pro 05 MK III? I got a penny and giles fader in here and it's battered and needs replacing, but they dont seem to make them anymore.

Thanks in advance, peace.

well, I'll chime in to get this thread going a tad with some of my useless knowledge...
1-okay chum, you could try that new fader and hope that's your only problem. Calibrating the table comes to mind... but if liquid got into some of the electronics and umphed-it up, you'll be sending that table off to an authorized repair center to get it straightened out if you want it done right.
2-ideal tonearm height is level. This means, when the needle of the cartridge is sitting in the groove of the record (when the needle is placed on the vinyl) that the tonearm should read level (I use a carpenter's torpedo level available at any hardware store to do mine) adjust the height accordingly.
3-counterweight for M447s I believe is 1.5-3 (I'm going from memory so don't shoot me. Check shure's website, I believe it's posted)--counterbalance, take your counterweight and screw it opposite to lighten the weight until the needle floats just above the vinyl, not on, and not springing upward. That should be your absolute zero. Crank the weight on until you're at about 2 or more and play your record. If it doesn't sound distorted you're there. If you scratch, you may need more tracking force. Apply as neccessary but keep in mind, the heavier the tracking, the more you burn your vinyl. I run about 1.7 at home and about 3+ in the club using Shure M35 & Audio Technica Djs currently.
Anti-skate is usually set at zero, or maybe just a little +.
3- beat breaks or breakbeat? :) keep in mind I live near Miami. heh.
4-Sorry I do not know anymore. I haven't used a Vestax mixer for several years. Email vestax on their website might gain a response.

Thanks for the reply man, it's much appreciated. I'm gonna buy the replacement pitch fader and if it doesnt work I'll have to get the table services. I'll also shoot the person who spilt the water with a rifle.

For the breakbeat thingy, I meant dj battle records...like the ultimate battle breaks 1, 2, 3 etc, A-traks 'Gangsta Breaks', 100mph backsliding turkey breaks, etc..just stuff that has samples to scratch and beats to scratch em over..Sorry if I worded the question like a bit of a spastic.

Peace

TheHomlessNinja said:
Hello all,
Got a few questions that need answering, hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction

1) My pitch fader is busted after someone spilled water into it..when I put it to +1 the record slows down to like -6. If I buy a replacement pitch fader like this: chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=SFDZ122N11 will this fix the problem?

2) What are ideal tone arm height / counterweight/ anti skate setting for Shure M44-7s? I got a pair but no instruction manual..

3) What are some good beat breaks LPs? I got a few of the DJ Rectangle ones, A-traks battle breaks etc but I need some fresh stuff

4) Is the Vestax PCV crossfader the only replacement fader available for the Vestax Pro 05 MK III? I got a penny and giles fader in here and it's battered and needs replacing, but they dont seem to make them anymore.

Thanks in advance, peace.

1) replace it or get it checked out
2) if you're scratching, make sure the cartridge bottom is level to the record so it's kinda flat-ish, experiment to see what skips the least tho.. I have tonearm highest... put your anti-skate at zero, and turn the weight backwards and put it all the way in

3) anything by the allies on ammo records, d-styles, ricci rucker/mike boo (epitome of fresh records), i-emerge/tigerstyle (the inside records), qbert/flare (dirtstyle records), those are your big battle record labels, and they all have good stuff depending on what you're looking for, the allies have solid all around battle records for routines/tracks, the d-styles/rucker/boo ones are for 'scratch music' (drum samples, flutes, horns for the most part, some down tempo beats), dirtstyle is good for practice, pick up superseal and hee haw breaks if you haven't, and the i-emerge/tigerstyle stuff is more new age/electronic and meant for battle routines mostly

4) you can get the PCV but it'll be worse than the p&g, you can also get a pro-x fade if you want a rane-56 style fader but it's expensive, and I think you can get the vestax cf-cc fader that's an upgrade for your 05 fader that I hear is alright

Back