Fellow DJ's How do you cut you're tracks short?

PintoDaWop

We all know in a club setting, you have to cut tracks short often for the audience to keep interest and not get bored.

So what are ur techniques? We can all learn from each other here.

I usually pause and start another track at the same time or fade in and out. What do you guys do?

I have an issue with this, usually I select tracks that are too long, or play tracks too long, so I'm looking to cut all the tracks I play to about 2 to 2:30 minutes. I want the transitions to sound smooth when I cut tracks short. How do you guys do usually do it? Other than stop and start at the same time or fading in and out? Those are my 2 ways of doing it at the moment.

All feedback and input much appreciated!

Harmonic mixing tis the only way! Two tracks in key, hits the same sorta, use your EQ knob to blend, never have more than one bass line going, playing with mids and highs, creativity from there!

If i am at a show and the DJ just starts another song after the one finishes I am not impressed, whatsoever

It takes lots of practice dude. It all depends on what equipment you use, your knowledge of tempo matching , scratching etc. You should youtube some establishd djs to check out their sets and learn some mechanics.

Scratching accuracy takes years to perfect. DJ Jazzy Jeff is probably the best reference as to what everyone who can scratch aspires to be. Others may have better moves or tricks, but there is no one better than Jeff at scratching on time and in key when transitioning songs.

Cheers!

I would just ask everyone to start skating in the opposite direction and change the record over in the confusion......:p

Seriously though I would fade one track in then fade the other out, that's mixing, if you are not confident in keeping two tracks in synchronization for a while you could consider periodically cutting in something short from the next track a few times before you cut over to it completely......I am not sure about the gear you are using but with traditional turntables we would twist the spigot to make fine adjustments to the synchronization of two records we had going through the system, for cutting in you use visual cues such as the writing on the label or a sticker in relation to some fixed point you have marked out mentally......you want to figure out how to do that kind of thing with whatever gear you are using.

It takes lots of practice dude. It all depends on what equipment you use, your knowledge of tempo matching , scratching etc. You should youtube some establishd djs to check out their sets and learn some mechanics.

Scratching accuracy takes years to perfect. DJ Jazzy Jeff is probably the best reference as to what everyone who can scratch aspires to be. Others may have better moves or tricks, but there is no one better than Jeff at scratching on time and in key when transitioning songs.

Cheers!

This is interesting cause I am a Hip Hop DJ and do rely on scratching and dropping records to mix them in. I got back into DJing a few months ago after a 4 year hiatus. I was used to using vinyl when DJing but now I've been using Mixtrack Pro 2 and Serato.

Scratching is easier and more natural with vinyl but its not too hard to do with an MP3 controller either. I mostly fade tracks in and out, or pause the track at a moment when it sounds good and start the next track. Add some scratching to it maybe.

So really I need to work on matching 2 beats together and smoothly transitioning the next track. I like to cut tracks short after the second verse or second chorus usually. Sometimes play the whole track, depending on what it is. But thanks for all the replies so far!

Links to Youtube tutorials on this subject would be much appreciated. Specially MP3 controller ones. I will do my own research as well, so I will post good ones I like here as well :D

Back