dj or turntablist?????

There is a big diference between your peers who respect and understand your artform and some drunk people at parties who dont know anything. For example, odd time signature will sound offbeat and weird to people who dont appreciate music. Do I care if they tell me my music is wack? So I why should I care if they say my music is great. I dont just scratch, but also make beats and play other instruments. Its not the positive feedbacks that made me better, but all the criticism I got from people. I get hype when people give me good feedback, but lets get serious, many people front and very few keep it real. Emperror has no clothese on.

having the respect of your peers is definitely great.[/B]

^^ Good points ! ^^

IMO - The constructive criticism definitely helps me improve...but the positive feedback keeps me going.

its always good to get any kind of fead back!! atleast you know you made someone stand back and listen to whats going on enough to say, liked that but you could try this, and yeh!! i dont really care if some pssed up, clueless twat comes up and sings my praise, and it tottaly does my head in when people come up trying to get all budy with you when your in mid set ranting on about how much they like tony yayo, but cant even tell you a tune befor "that one with 50 cent" damn, get a life!!
and its also funny as hell when you get some new off the press import, a lad i know works in a pressing plant and gets so much that im jelouse, but he does ship some over, but when you drop them, and peeps try mouthing lyrics that they dont know, i guess its a personal thing, but i find it piss funny!!

the beat juggle routines which i pull off mid set do get heads turning, and this kinda feeling from just flowing a few beats really buzzez me! and when you drop the tune and you get that raw, beats any drug rush for me! but im in no way stuck up about it, i just keep it clean and tight on the night,there have been times where i just got too in to it and you can loose the point of it!! which is really an enhancement, and i have gone off track befor, needles flying etc, thats why i always take my own stuff now! nothing worse than scratching on some shat needles with slip mats that dont spin and a mixer from the 80s, crude goods!!

yep
well said.
I do it for fun and if other people enjoy listening to what i'm doing then bonus!

Last edited:
i do it so i can become the baddest ****ing DJ in London and beyond...

that is all children

I guess I do it for the sake of making noise. Even when I'm away fron the decks I find myself whistling scratches or tapping out a beat or beatboxing. Even with Reason I try to emulate scratching.
So I guess I'm more a turntablist but seems like thats just pigeon holeing my self too much. I mean I want to rock a party as much as the next guy, but I'd rather cater to the people who are down. And I don't wanna be one of those dmc people who can do the most technical scratching, but have no rythm nor any sence of a beat.
I have a job and a soon to be wife so being a superstar dj or trying to impress people are not even on my list of **** to do.

I think in the end of the day its 'music' you have to cater for the audience. I play to a crowd of 1500 every Tuesdays to a very commercial crowd in the north of England (Not my scene but pays the bills). I still throw in complicated scratches (2, 1, click flares, chirp squeezes, 1 bar, backbeats, juggles) anything I can get away with, as is lost in the audience. If you keep the continuity within the set you can keep the girls dancing while adding flare, this technical enhancement can set you apart from other Djs. Scratching is self expression, it adds your personal creative touch to the 10 (commercial, trash, wack, singer, rapper, industry, built, infested) records that you have to play. If I was playing to a audience of purists wanting 5 element type **** id rearrange my records and style, that’s a Dj mentality, using Tablist technical ability to rock various crowds

When asked Tablist or DJ id say in my best Neanderthal voice “man who plays music”
Why label it’s not important DO what you DO

Back