Direct Drive vs. Belt Drive

most folks who use belt drives are into mixing not scratching....

the reason for the belt drives, as has been mentioned, is the reduction in vibrations and whatnot due to the isolation of the platter from the motor,

but you have to get a good belt drive TT -- or it won't hold the speed well enough -- cheaply made belt drives (and nice ones with worn out bands), won't hold the speed consistent enough....

you also have more choices with tonearms (not saying that you can;t swap out arms on a 1200 or DD TT)....

ameoba said:
Unless you have a phono-preamp (dj-mixer, phono inputs on the sampler, etc...) you're going to need to get one ($50+) to actually hear any sounds out of that.

so i need to get a a pre-amp/mixer for any turntable to get the samples ?

rapaz said:
so i need to get a a pre-amp/mixer for any turntable to get the samples ?

Turntables output a "phono" signal. Most inputs use a "line" signal. Therefore a phono signal needs to be boosted to the same level as a line signal. So either a pre-amp or Dj Mixer (as pre-amps are built in) is needed in order to get a good signal.

UNLESS you buy one of the newer turntables with Line outputs (Numark TTX, Stanton STR8150, STR150, T120).

Numark TT-USB...It has a built in pre-amp and connect to your comp directly through USB...I'm satisfied with mine...

Hey;
I'm looking for a turntable mostly for sampling old records, so i dont know what to choose. Direct Drive costs more, but belt drive mite stop when scratching, but i;m not going to bt dj-ing anywayz.
what would you recommend? what kind of turntable do samplers on this forum use?

thankz!

Hey rapaz :)

Yeah Direct drive are a bit expensive but if you buy a high quality belt driven they work fine.I love listening music on my turntable and many a times I carry it with me in my car which makes my journey more enjoyable.Actually the latest turntables are equipped with better features and we could play CD's on them.I mostly use crosley turntable.You could also try and if you want to gain some knowledge about these turntables,I would suggest you to go through this Top 10 Crosley TurnTables Reviewed - Crosley Turntable Reviews,it has very good information .91GafRp6ORL._SX522_.jpg

Attachments

• 0 (1).jpg
    0 (1).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back