Direct Drive vs. Belt Drive

rapaz

Hey;
I'm looking for a turntable mostly for sampling old records, so i dont know what to choose. Direct Drive costs more, but belt drive mite stop when scratching, but i;m not going to bt dj-ing anywayz.
what would you recommend? what kind of turntable do samplers on this forum use?

thankz!

for what ur using it for, direct drive

the only reason anyone would want belts, well its dj's with money that can afford new belts, and only then they prefer them because of the torch.

actually no dj would want belt drive turntables, dj's all want direct drive because of the torque.

for sampling, you'll be fine with a belt drive, since all you're really looking for is something to playback on.

Gutty502 said:
for what ur using it for, direct drive

Disagree IF, your going to JUST sample then a belt drive will do you right if not better than a DD.

However if you are considering scratching Gutty is right, you wont stand a chance on belt drive, nor on the lower end direct drives as the torque is to low. You need a turntable with atleast 1.5kg/cm Torque to perform scratching on in my opinion, the lowest priced available if im not mistaken is the Numark TT-200. And you'll also need a scratch mixer to perform intermediate to advanced scratches.

Hope that helps.

Belt drive for sampling...

Direct drive TT's transmit motor noise to the platter, which is in turn picked up by the stylus. It's minimal on modern turntables, but it's there, nonetheless.

The belt in a belt-driven turntable acts as a buffer between the motor and the platter, and an appreciable amount of noise is cut out of the chain.

For the record, audiophile level turntables are typically (but not always) belt driven, since discerning audiophiles want as little noise in their signal chain as possible.

Hope I helped!

-AD

naw, a lot of dj's with money like belt drive. my buddy dj lasher uses three tables at a show, one direct, and two belts. the direct is a back up for the moment, if a belt snaps, just until he switches belts. I have direct drive, but belts do deliver the most torch overall, but belts are like 30 bucks or more, so most turn away from them.

ive scratched on my buddys belts, and they do have a lot of torch,
but thats besides the point, BUY DIRECT

gutty i dont know what your talkin about but i have never met a DJ thats wanted belt drive over direct drive. i started with belt drive cuz i didnt know any better but i just bought a 1200 and the belt drive TT doesnt even compare when it comes o srcatchin. belt drives skip alot when i scratch and after the belt stretches a little, u lose a lot of torque. thats my own experience.

dj fade92 said:
gutty i dont know what your talkin about but i have never met a DJ thats wanted belt drive over direct drive. i started with belt drive cuz i didnt know any better but i just bought a 1200 and the belt drive TT doesnt even compare when it comes o srcatchin. belt drives skip alot when i scratch and after the belt stretches a little, u lose a lot of torque. thats my own experience.

i have never ever ever heard of a DJ who used belt drive. Honestly why would you need that much torque? And why would you conscisously choose to replace turntable belts?

Louped Garou uses them all the time as I've well learnt!!! There ARE Dj's that choose to use belt drives, but im not sure I see the benefit's.

I use a really old record playa 2 sample wid, I just hook it up 2 my studio mixer. Would i be better off getting a dj mixer?

jordy said:
I use a really old record playa 2 sample wid, I just hook it up 2 my studio mixer. Would i be better off getting a dj mixer?

Not at all. As long as you have a nice phono pre-amp, that'll be just about right for sampling.

I dont know any DJ who uses a belt drive for DJing...this is a classic case of someone volunteering false info. For sampling go with the belt for reasons stated above.

dude, im a dj, and i prefer dd as well, all i was saying is belts DO deliver the most torch, and i have a friend who prefers them and he throws rockin shows, and can scratch beter then me, granted he is better then me but he swears to the belts as well, he saysthere more accurate

quezoxx said:
I dont know any DJ who uses a belt drive for DJing...this is a classic case of someone volunteering false info.

Thats a little harsh, just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it's false info. There really are Dj's who deliberately use Belt Drive, for what reason, I dont know. But they do, i've seen, i've heard, I got confused.

Gutty502 said:
dude, im a dj, and i prefer dd as well, all i was saying is belts DO deliver the most torch, and i have a friend who prefers them and he throws rockin shows, and can scratch beter then me, granted he is better then me but he swears to the belts as well, he saysthere more accurate

i guess its whatever works best for u is all that matters.

Unless you have a phono-preamp (dj-mixer, phono inputs on the sampler, etc...) you're going to need to get one ($50+) to actually hear any sounds out of that.

Gutty's a spanner!

Don't listen to gutty he's blates a spanner because he is talking about turntable TORQUE and he is writing torch? DD deliver well more TORQUE just because the platter is gettin the momentum directly, where as the force on TD uses a stupid band that stretches. Get a BD for sampling simply because of the reduced pick up noise but to scratch WELL you need DD because BD just skip and slow down.

fortune1991 said:
Don't listen to gutty he's blates a spanner because he is talking about turntable TORQUE and he is writing torch?

That doesn't make him a "spanner" now does it.

He's right though, DD's do have more torque and you'll need the substantial difference in start-up speed to scratch with. Despite my posts above I have never seen Dj's scratch successfully with Belt Drive or either deliberately chose to, just mix.

Just go to a store and try everything out.

Back