cross fader bleeding

S

silly_snake

This may sound silly but which ways is ther eof knowing you have a bleeding crossfader? cheers rob

it will bleed sound through from the turntable that should be completely off.

sometimes they crackle (or sound staticky) when moving between on n off position

Will

most of the cheaper mixers on the market bleed after , in comparison, little abuse, as when you start, you tend to over apply pressure to the fader its slef, and the annoying thing is!! they usually bleed at the point where the fader actually hits the metal, not nessesarily where the actual cut off is!! as there is mabey a few mm where the cut off point lies!!

it will cracle, which is sometimes down to dust in the fader though!! so try anti static spay and lube!! (made for electical componants)

if the sound bleeds, sometimes on one side! close the fader and then lightly push it up/down!! it can be either l/r side or both thats playing up!!

if come up with a few temperary measures to deal with fader bleed in my time!! the best tip is, dont get a cheap mixer! i know its not the cheapest answer, but if its something you wish to keep, then its well worth saving up!!

Try some canned air...sometimes it will temporarily stop the fader from bleeding...

iv never heard of bleading faders before but it sounds like thats wats wrong with mine! it not a cheap mixer either. is the only solution a new crossfader? is it bleedin becos of a lot of abuse??

steeler said:
iv never heard of bleading faders before but it sounds like thats wats wrong with mine! it not a cheap mixer either. is the only solution a new crossfader? is it bleedin becos of a lot of abuse??

If your fader is crackling then you can just give it a good cleaning but if you can hear your other table even though the fader is on the other side then the only solution is another fader. Bleeding usually happens because of dirt or lots of abuse or it could just be normal wear and tear. No normal contact fader will last you forever. It will bleed sometime, depending on the quality of the fader some will last longer and some won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think he probably means otical faders!! magnetic!! its not even a catagory!!

most faders work by running connectors over a strip of conductive metal!! and there is some kind of non conductive paint at either side which cuts the the sound out! when the layer of black ****e is worn out the fader will bleed!

thats how it works! some one will now put what the black ****e is!! but i forget,

most faders work with the pressure directly exurted on to the surface, whereby dust and crap will interfear with the connection, this is whee sprays etc will cure the problem, but if the black non conductive areas are worn, then a new fader is required!!

Actually there are magnetic faders but the only ones I know of are in the hak 360 and rane 56. Optical is when the sound is cut off when the fader passes an optical light in the fader and since it doesn't have the carbon strips like the normal faders it is thought to last a long time but they can die easily if dirt or oil gets into the optical light. A magnetic fader is controlled by a magnetic force field so no liquid or any substance can disrupt it, as everybody knows nothing can mess with the force of magnets.

Curse the person who sold me my first mixer. He said it was "slightly used", but it came with the bleediest crossfader on both sides. I could clearly hear the other track playing threw. It was so disapointing. The best I could do was turn down the gains on the mixer, and turn up the levels on the amp, but the sound still sucked. The mixer was a Numark. I got a Vestax now. Had it for over a year and the crossfader has no problems with no work done to it besides a blow with an air compressor a couple times.

Thats 'A-mod' and its been around since late 90's. Nowhere on that site, Ricci Rucker or Asisphonics.net were mentioned. People like to steal ideas but never give credit where it's due.

Back