controller or dj sets for a beginer?

Reezy

hey there im planning to start dj'ing these days. been a producer for long and never thought of this. so just asking ya all which one should i buy? a controller or set(2/4 decks,1 mixer). as just starting out i have no plan to spend huge on them so im just gonna stick below 300 dollars. please throw some good suggestion on products too.

i'd imagine controller you could get more bang for the buck. Two competing controller programs at the moment are traktor and serato, i'd recommend a controller from pioneer if you go the serato route. Also many use ableton to DJ, if you produce in ableton might be a good alternative to look into. I personally never have gotten the swing of it as I prefer to actually see two decks and mix between them(or 4 in some controllers). Don't know any controllers specifically in your budget.

Just know computer DJing and USB/CD/Vinyl mixers will be a whole different world of DJing, one offers a secreen and visual cueing while the other you will be strictly beatmatchning from scratch

i prefer to use traktor pro. so does pioneer supports traktor? and what about Numark or hercules? so these controllers are okay for professsional use? i mean they look a bit like toys for wannabee's

i prefer to use traktor pro. so does pioneer supports traktor? and what about Numark or hercules? so these controllers are okay for professsional use? i mean they look a bit like toys for wannabee's

If you are trying to be one of those DJ's that look really cool I can't help you. It is true most venue's/bars will probably have CDJ's on hand, but it all depends on the type of DJ you are. Tons of big names producers and DJ's at festivals are spinning on traktor and serato and what not. Remember as a DJ you are supposed to sound good, not look cool. If only all DJ's knew that

I have seen dj's using cdj's and also a laptop showing a dj software on screen. So i dont think any top producers ever use a controller on festivals.

Last edited:
I have seen dj's using cdj's and also a laptop showing a dj software on screen. So i dont think any top producers ever use a controller on festivals.

Well you are welcome to disagree. But those DJ softwares are exactly what Serato and Traktor are, controlled by controllers plugged into the laptop, yea CDJs can also control these programs. Many use Ableton and controllers as well

I think i should stick to CDJ. But before that i should buy a used controller to learn the skills properly than going for CDJ .what you say?

A good idea for under 300$ is to either buy a "Pioneer" DDJ-SB or buy a "Pioneer" DDJ-WeGo. In my opinion they're both good for starters and they offer some really good features in order to be able to really practise. And, of course, "Pioneer" is a good brand and I think this is good to know as well. Hope I helped :)

I've been using the Traktor S2 for a while now, and it might not be as large or shiny as some competitors but it gets the job done and is easy to learn everything on. At least for your first set of decks I would recommend

I started with a Traktor Kontrol S4 and I still use it to this day. (2 years) It's a simple all in one solution. If you like simplicity and not having to go around carrying a bunch of stuff, then I'd highly suggest it.

I think i should stick to CDJ. But before that i should buy a used controller to learn the skills properly than going for CDJ .what you say?

Cds are a dead format. If you don't want a controller look into media players such as the xdjs

Back