Complete newb

slunk

Hey guys,

I've been producing for about three years now and have decided its time to start learning to DJ. I'm a complete novice and wouldn't know where to start. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the equipment I will need and if anyone knows of any good tutorials.

Thanks!

I suggest you choose a DAW first. I am using FL studio on Windows, But if you are a mac user there are other options of course. My suggestion to you before start to learn a daw, study on musical chords, notes and how to make melodies. In my opinion mistake that many producers making is they focus on sounds and part of song individually, but really important thing is you should serve to the song not just for one cool synth but best one that fits the song.
About the tutorials there are lots of them in Youtube depends on what is your genre to produce :)

For DJ ing; not a tutorial but SOUNDTECH is awsome, and also you can download a virtual dj on your comp, so you can mess arround and learn what buttons do what

I hope I could ve helped :)

Last edited:
I had a really convenient transition, by having a friend who is a DJ and had her help me out and teach me. I then went out and got my own equipment (Traktor S2, highly recommend it) for practice and home use.

So if you know anyone who has some DJ gear, ask them to show you, or - if they are not using it - let you borrow it for a few days. I do not recommend DJ:ing thru a DAW. Learn to do it using the proper gear and the way 99.9 % of people do it in the clubs (that is usually on Pioneer CDJ:s, but Traktor has a very similar workflow).

isurvive and Somn, thanks for replying.

isurvive I already using Logic Pro X as my DAW and have been producing music for a couple of years so understand the software, but as I'm now creating a four-track house EP, I need to start learning to DJ so I can eventually play my tracks live.

Somn, or Valdemar, not sure what you prefer, thats great advice. I do have a few friends that DJ and was thinking about having a few sessions with them to learn all the basics. I have an old Korg Electribe MX, which kind of has some of the DJ functions on it e.g. adjusting cutoff and whatnot, but yeah in terms of actually mixing between tracks and using software, I'm a bit clueless. I will definitely check out Traktor S2.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Somn, or Valdemar, not sure what you prefer, thats great advice. I do have a few friends that DJ and was thinking about having a few sessions with them to learn all the basics. I have an old Korg Electribe MX, which kind of has some of the DJ functions on it e.g. adjusting cutoff and whatnot, but yeah in terms of actually mixing between tracks and using software, I'm a bit clueless. I will definitely check out Traktor S2.
You're gonna have a good time. DJ:ing is incredibly fun and London is the best city in the world for playing soulful dance music in my opinion. So many interesting new scenes going on at any given time. Kinda regret moving away just as I started getting serious about playing out.

You're gonna have a good time. DJ:ing is incredibly fun and London is the best city in the world for playing soulful dance music in my opinion. So many interesting new scenes going on at any given time. Kinda regret moving away just as I started getting serious about playing out.

Where do you live now? You can still play here ;)

isurvive and Somn, thanks for replying.

isurvive I already using Logic Pro X as my DAW and have been producing music for a couple of years so understand the software, but as I'm now creating a four-track house EP, I need to start learning to DJ so I can eventually play my tracks live.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Oh sorry man, title is misguided me when you say complete newb :D lol sorry. Then download virtual dj you can see basics of dj ing there before jump into buying a mixer and decks,

If you thinking to buy new gear, stay away from we go and similar sets, I suggest as DDJ-SB2 as a cheap set for starter. If you are looking for a more professional and seprate set up, there are lots of options :)

Back