Cleaning up, warping and eqing vinyl rips?

Murrley

I need to rip my vinyls and clean the files up. So removing clicks/pops, warping/quantizing the beats, and balancing the EQs. What software would be the best to do this in? And any other advice.

For audio clean up and restoration, I use the following VSTs:

1) Wave Arts Master Restoration Suite
2) iZotope RX Plug-in Pack
3) Acon Digital Restoration Suite

Either product suite will get the job done. However, depending on the source material, one of them might work better than the others, which is why I own three different options.

I would suggest downloading the product demos and verifying which one provides you with the best result.

Last edited:
For audio clean up and restoration, I use the following VSTs:

1) Wave Arts Master Restoration Suite
2) iZotope RX Plug-in Pack
3) Acon Digital Restoration Suite

Either product suite will get the job done. However, depending on the source material, one of them might work better than the others, which is why I own three different options.

I would suggest downloading the product demos and verifying which one provides you with the best result.

Thanks for the advice. What would you recommend for warping/quantizing? I think ableton may be the standard?

And my vinyls are in pretty good condition so they probably won't need too much de-clicking. Would you lean towards on of those 3 restoration tools based on that?

Thanks for the advice. What would you recommend for warping/quantizing? I think ableton may be the standard?

And my vinyls are in pretty good condition so they probably won't need too much de-clicking. Would you lean towards on of those 3 restoration tools based on that?

Ableton should be find for warping/quantizing. I only have a basic version that came with the purchase of another music product. In all honesty, I never used it. However, I know of some DJs who use Ableton for pre-recorded radio mixes and the Ableton works well for them in that situation, which requires warping/quantizing.

When I was converting some of my old DJ vinyl collection to mp3 format, in order to use the recordings in DVS setup with my turntables, I was only concerned with the restoration/clean-up of the audio and loaded the files in Tracktor Scratch Pro and Serato Scratch without any adjustments. I beat match by ear and warping/quantizing was not a big deal to me.

In regards to the restoration/clean-up plugins, the iZotope RX Plugin Pack is the most advance of the three stated in my prior post, in my opinion. It normally costs $129, but is often on sale for $49, which is the price that I paid for it. Per an email I received from JRR Shop today, the said iZotope product should be on sale again on Wednesday for $49. You can either check at JRR Shop, another plugin discounter or iZotope's website on Wednesday to verify the pricing.

With that said, I find that the Wave Arts Master Restoration Suite has the best workflow and is the tools that I use the most often. One benefits of the Wave Arts suite is that each component can be purchase separately, if the others are not needed. For vinyl restoration/clean-up, the Wave Arts MR Click is more than likely all that is needed and it can be purchase at Audio Deluxe or JRR Shop for less than $39, when the additional discount is added to the cart.

Definitely, download the demos for each of the audio restoration/clean-up tools and test what works best for your needs.

For an EQ balance application, checkout Mix in Key's Platinum Notes. I do not have any experience with the application, but some DJs use it for automating the balance of levels via compression, gain stages and EQ.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm also doing this. If your records are old and dusty (like mine) I recommend getting an anti-static vinyl cleaning spray before you start.
Also, Izotope RX is great, been using it for years.
I'm looking for an alternative to Ableton for quantizing recordings. It seems overkill to buy/install Ableton just for the warp functionality. Is there no other software that can warp a track to a grid?

Last edited:
Back