CDJ vs Controller

Hey!

I just recently got back into DJing myself. I'm from the vinyl era and have been out the game for about 6 years. I bought myself a Numark Mixtrack Pro 2 and its working great for me. I think doing the digital thing is way cooler than CD and its a great piece of equipment. Also the fact that u can find almost any track you want on MP3 that you would have to dig for days if using vinyl. Obviously u can just burn onto CD if ur using CDJ's but I'm happier with a controller so far.

I would agree - you can check out my videos with the Numark Mixtrack pro 2.

I never thought i would be saying this but CD's are ol' school and will waste a lot of time (burning out CD's etc) your much better off with a good Controller, MP3's.

I've been djing for 15 years and have Djed on everything... vinyl is my love but digital and controllers makes life easy.

get a cheap controller to start and software (most come with a lite version, or even full sometimes) because other than shit that is otherwise useful (monitors, headphones can be used for anything) you're only dropping a few hundred dollars and can get a feel for it/know if you like it without breaking the bank. just don't use auto-sync or use it as little as possible it will hold back your skill-level.

that said CDJs and turntables are the only options at many venues still, so eventually you're either going to have to learn or even buy cdjs or a serato set-up. (again, don't use auto-sync.) but if you try it out and just can't stand it at least you didn't drop a few gs on a now-worthless to you and half the price on the market dj setup.

It really depends on what you prefer. I never really got into vinyl mainly because I can't mix fast enough. I usually play 45 songs an hour so I use a controller.

I have the DDJ-SX. I would absolutely love to be able to mix on CDJ's after using the DDJ-SX. However for the price I have no desire to buy CDJ's, and I am super happy with the capabilities the DDJ-SX has to offer.

EDIT: Also some guys talking about MP3's. Please never DJ with MP3's, even 320's suck. Always play lossless tracks if possible, you'd be amazed at how much fuller your mixes will sound.

Last edited:
I have pioneer Cdj 850's and they have mp3/usb capabilities. I had a s4 controller and got rid of it because as it was said above, you will either be laughed at while playing at the club with a controller or you will not be able to use it because the house set is Cdj's. I think after having a controller for over a year and switching I couldn't be happier. Downside is the price- Two 850's alone are $1800, so if money is a concern then go with the controller. But don't listen to people saying " you can only play cd's with Cdj's". ---This is not true. I know that the pioneer 850's,900 nexus, and the 2000's all have mp3/usb capabilities. In fact I think most Cdj's will start implementing that. Good luck man hope this helps a little.

I personally prefer cdjs , to laptops , its what i know and i find myself limited with laptop controllers and feels like a less premium experience to me ,

I personally get a buzz of the potential to make a mistake , cdjs when reading of cds are nearly spot on actuate, but reading off usb they are a little more less consistent at getting the bpm correct , so youll get more drifting , so you still have to work , but with laptops they lock in perfect and its just led to a generation of djs that don't truly know how to beat match, there just reading off the waveforms being aligned ,
In my opinion that takes away the enjoyment many can pick that up with very little practice , it takes a good few years to perfect beatmatching by ear (mostly) , but if you just want to jump in straight to the set building and get your sets out there quick an interface would be a good option until your getting lots of work ,
Its about 4 grand ish for a top of the range set up , its a lot to invest in if your not certain you will use the equipment to its full potential

For now pall i would find a few friends who have decks and get a feel for all formats , and make sure your in the click with the promoters and event organisers so you can get sets when you feel your ready !!

I personally prefer cdjs , to laptops , its what i know and i find myself limited with laptop controllers and feels like a less premium experience to me ,

I personally get a buzz of the potential to make a mistake , cdjs when reading of cds are nearly spot on actuate, but reading off usb they are a little more less consistent at getting the bpm correct , so youll get more drifting , so you still have to work , but with laptops they lock in perfect and its just led to a generation of djs that don't truly know how to beat match, there just reading off the waveforms being aligned ,
In my opinion that takes away the enjoyment many can pick that up with very little practice , it takes a good few years to perfect beatmatching by ear (mostly) , but if you just want to jump in straight to the set building and get your sets out there quick an interface would be a good option until your getting lots of work ,
Its about 4 grand ish for a top of the range set up , its a lot to invest in if your not certain you will use the equipment to its full potential

For now pall i would find a few friends who have decks and get a feel for all formats , and make sure your in the click with the promoters and event organisers so you can get sets when you feel your ready !!

I believe times have changed, beatmatching is now a chore. Yes it's a joke on controllers (actually auot-sync has some amazing creative uses). But it's not about the hardware the DJ's use. We need to stop getting caught up in how things "used" to be done.

In today's day and age a true DJ will harmonically mix his entire set & the dancefloor won't stop moving(even in the drumless quiet breaks) for the entire set. The audience/dance crowd should be so lost by the end of a mix, it should be one giant song.

IMO the ideal DJ is one who can mix an entire set and NEVER be able to tell when a song started or stopped.

EDIT: I say never but actually some cool transitions can happen when you drop the next track out of surprise some cool way. I more meant, there shouldn't be radical key changes, it should all flow as one

again, only my opinion; It's not about how you do it, it's about how it sounds.

Last edited:
Along with some of the other people here I started back on vinyl and have owned many variations since the 1200's including the DDJ-SX. If they had the selection back when I started and for the prices these things can be had for now a days I would have been in heaven all those years ago. Given that there are so many options you can have rock solid mixes on a $20 Traktor app for a iPad if you wish just to make sure DJing is something you think you will want to spend your hard earned cash on.

Once you know that DJing is right for you then a controller like the SX or SZ will give you remarkable control and are some very well built machines. You will also be getting the experience and start building the muscle memory for later on if you start playing gigs in clubs where the CDJ is king. I currently own the CDJ/DJM 2000nexus lineup but it took me many years of practice and live paying gigs before I could justify this type of price tag. The nice thing is now that I have all my library setup before hand in Rekordbox and walk into a club with my in ear monitors and a SD card (these fit comfortably in a single pocket) and play my gig with no setup time required, such a fantastic thing. I do have to say though I have always been a Denon DJ fan, the active platters give you the sensation of vinyl without dealing with needle skips etc and they are built like rocks, even over the CDJs.

With so many options and new things coming out each month I say you just need to do your homework and be cautious of your budget, you can quickly find yourself thinking you need to jump to the $11k setup lol

All best,
Christo

Back