Best dj controller for starting out?

srry

Just wondering what dj mixer/ controller would be best for someone starting out. Nothing crazy expensive!
Thanks!

srry

Numark MixTrack Pro. Go here.

Was hesitant at first, but after I got it and played with it, I am IMPRESSED. Great piece for the price. I am guessing you are trying to spend a low amount of cash? If not, what's your budget, bud?

DJ Whrr

Alot of my friends use Abelton Live + Launchpads or akai apcs - $150.00

I use a Traktor Kontrol S2 - $500.00

If your serious about djaying - go with either of those

I got the Traktor Kontrol s2 and im really happy with it. It's easy to handle and has everything i need. the software is good aswell, i think.

It's hard to say which is the best... the more important question to ask is which controller is best for you. Consider a few things:

- Do you prefer a particular piece of software? (Traktor, Virtual DJ, Serato DJ, etc.) This may influence your decision. A Kontrol S4 integrates perfectly with Traktor Pro, for example, but you might not like it for use with other software.

- How many decks do you want to control?

- Do you require a built-in sound card?

etc. etc.

Check out this guide for a breakdown of some great controllers... if you're just starting out and want something cheap, check out the "Top 5 Budget Controllers" section.

If your looking for something on a smaller budget I would check out a hercules rmx control with timecode vinyls.

Last edited:
DDJ-SX and serato DJ- affordable and feature rich.

Even then I would still say buy turntables and vinyl and learn to beatmatch on wax. Its like learning to drive a manual, you may not end up doing it all the time but you but at least you know how. Then simply buy Serato/Traktor which ever one suits you better. I like serato more personally but this lies with the individual.

numark seems like a good solution for starting out, cheap and does what it says on the tin

Novation twitch is worth a look, i find it gives you a really compositional element without losing the on the fly nature of being in the mix. Just changes your thinking to how am i going to arrange this set of tunes with the remixing tools available. Very intuitive and really allows you to feel you are making the music not just playing it.

Back