Beat Matching

Esce

Hi there!

first day in the forum so i decided to post something useful

I was wondering how did you guys learned beatmatching

I use traktor and i decided to delete the beatmatch bar so i could learn how to beatmatch only using my ears, its frustrating at first, but you can get used to it pretty fast.

House tracks are very easy to beatmatch and with practise you will do it almost automatically with other genres too.

I use a traktor s4 btw

What do you do people ?

I used to use CDJs but I perofrm live now completely with ableton., ...and you dont have to beat match with ableton (as long as the bpms are relatively close). It's like the sync button but ableton has so many capabilities that it's still cool.

A pair of modified turntables, Technotnics. there was a variable resistor on the underside ripped out and placed on the top to adjust the pitch/speed.

We mixed pretty much all day everyday.

Two Gemini CDJ's and a Behringer mixer. If I'm going to record, I'll go aux out into my PC with Audacity set to record. I don't like using DJ software. Could never get fully into the mix if I was using software.

Started out with really simple stuff. Minimalistic house and stuff generally at 120 BPM. Work up to Hardstyle and then eventually Happy Hardcore.

Keep trying & trying until you can beatmatch sloppily. Then work on it until you're no longer sloppy. Then keep working on it more until you can intuitively tell whether to nudge forward or backwards without even using your brain.

I'm older so I learned on turntables, which require you to be constantly adjusting in the mix. With CDJs and controllers they use a digital pitch, which makes it drift way less and also makes it easier to nudge back into place. Unless you're interested in scratching and turntablism I think it's best to learn on CDJs or a controller. But if you learn on turntables the good thing is you're pretty much trained to use any setup.

I had a friend teach me the basics on some old CDJ:s. I then went and got a Traktor S2 pretty much the next day.

I use Traktor at home since it's super convenient and a great product, but whenever I play out I do it on CDJ:s, for a lot of reasons (they are the club standard, I don't like bringing my laptop to the club, it's more fun to play with 'your ears only' rather than your eyes, and it saves you the hassle of setting anything up before a night).

Do keep in mind there are a lot of things that are different when playing out (on either CDJ:s or Traktor or Serato). The sound will be much louder and physical so it takes some experience to be able to operate comfortably and skillfully at that level as opposed to in your home. You also have to be prepared to play on equipment you have never used before, and a lot of other stuff.

I do recommend Traktor for learning/home use, though, fantastic value for the money. Never regretted purchasing mine and use it a lot.

I learned how to beatmatch on a mixtrack pro 3, but I didn't get really good at it until I bought real turntables.

Back