Anti skate problem

S

sekonz

Decks- technics 1210 mk2

had em about 7 yrs i think and they aint been dropped, banged or damaged in anyway(that i know off).

Problem-

There seems to be alot of antiskate on my tonarm(pushing tonearm outwards) when the dial is set to zero. It causes my needle to skip (outwards)once the needle get about 3/4 the way through a record.

Ive checked it against my other deck and both my friends decks.
I set the weight balance so that tone arm is floating then i check the anti skate force.....ther is defo a great amount being put onto my tonearm when ther should be zero(or very little in real life).

Anybody had this problem and how do you fix it.

Or - how does the anti skate mechanism actually work, is it mechanical or electronic and how can it be re calibrated. (ive been told its a spring mechanism but the person wasent 100% sure)

Thanks.

The antiskate mechanism isn't more than a dial connected to a spring pushing the tonearm. I've never seen one tensed up to the extreme, and I can't even imagine how that would be possible.

However, I have seen a lot of tonearm suspensions that have had damaged bearings and such that would make the turntable behave the way you described. Does it feel smooth and even all the way when you move the arm back and forth with your hand, or does it seem to lug or slow down at some point(s)?

its moves smooth all the way but has the force pushing it all the time.

the force seems to get greater the further the tone arm is to the spindle(inwards).

read this from another site-

Anti-Skate

* S Shaped tone arms have a natural pull towards the inside of the record.
* Anti-skate is a tone arm feature that exerts an outward push away from the spindle.
* Anti-skate has two calibration settings. The dial at the base of the tone arm is a relative setting that adds 1-3 grams of outward force. Absolute Anti-Skate force is adjusted using the two concentric screws on top of the pivot joint. Shure recommends that a qualified turntable technician perform adjustments for Absolute Anti-Skate.
* Test for Anti-Skate calibration.
o Zero the tone arm.
o Set Anti-skate to Zero.
o If the tone arm pulls outward, a positive anti-skate force exists. Seek a turntable technician for calibration.
o If the tone arm pulls inward, a negative anti-skate force exists. Add force using the dial until the tone arm floats freely, with no inward or outward pull.
* Positive anti-skating forces increase skipping when back cueing.

so im reconning that i may be able to adjust it by turning the pivot screw..

anybody know which to turn- the centre screw or the ring round it, and what direction???

Back