Alternative to Technics 1210's Advice

G

GrooveX

It's about time i got myself some decks instead of playing on everybody elses i know. I remember seeing some time ago a few features on non technics direct drive turntables and i fancy something other than 1210's as everybody's got 'em.

Can anybody suggest any that are as good as or better than the 1210's?

If you're into fancy fiddly things on your decks you can try out Vestax, they say they're pretty good. I remember a model that had a pitch that goes up to +/-15% rather than the Technics which only go up to +/-8% (though, I personally think you loose the whole tunes if you go above/below +/-6), it also has a whole load of ridiculous features like reverse play with pitch control (which is REALY good if your vynils got pressed the wrong way around, though I've never heard of such a thing). It's also said that they reduce vibrations more, but I personally didn't notice the difference since I don't play with a 50,000W sound system. There's also the cheaper, yet just as good, Gemini's. I used a PT-1000 a couple of times and it was quiet good, I thought it was well worth the price :)
That's about all I've tried that were close to Technics in quality. I remember someone talking about the Numark pro-tt (or somethin like that) on here, you might wanna give that a try aswell.
Wish you luck :)

Try the Technics SL1200 or M3D :D

No seriously, Vestax are more pricy, but on paper they are better than the Techies. Their new PDX 2000 has some nice features : +/- 50% pitch, reverse play, 33/45/78 RPM (the last one for jungle and d&b mixing), ...

Gemini are a good alternative for the budget minded people.
If I remember the PT-1000 and 2000 are discontinued now. Now they are called PT-2100 and PT-2400. The only difference with the "older" ones is a nice LCD screen.

And finally the Numark Pro TT1 and 2. Sturdy construction, nice design...

They're discontinued? Ummm +/-50%, 78rpm??(only Vestax!)
Thanx for that Dj Thy, feeling real old now :( hehe

Well, sorry, but I was misinformed. I missed two new models. PT-2600 and 2610. Haven't checked it out yet. Have to go on their site.

About the 50 % pitch range, that's only Vestax (on their new model you can also select startup and brake speed)

78 RPM is a feature you'll find on most recent TT's, cuz it has been used a lot in the US and is mainly used to play breakbeat records as jungle loops.

OH yeah, forgot about one real good alternative : Omnitronic.
Very sturdy construction, very good price. They have different models with different features, but their newest one (DD-5250) has integrated main tempo!!! (like on the Pioneer CDJ series, no tone variation while pitching up or down).
To give a reference, the turntables used on the Love Parade 2000 were mostly Omnitronics DD-4250 and 5250. Not bad huh :)

Peez
Dj Thy

Thanks everyone. :D Those Omnitronic ones sound like the thing for me, and that new feature sounds like it should add another dimension to mixing. Real time time stretching? Would like to hear how accurate it is. Any idea on the price anyone?

--------
T3 Phsyik darksidemix (dnb)
click here

Drop Vibe (Trip hop/electronica)
http://www1.getoutthere.bt.com/musi...rchby=custom&viewby=date&searchterm=luko&ID=2,0&page=1

http://www.mp3.com/Luko (house / techno)

Note from moderator: make sure your links are working, sometimes long links are broken to fit this page

I just saw some DENON tables at a store the other day. I don't know how long they have been making tables, but these ones seem real nice. Got some kind of built in DSP. Not exactly sure what it does but it sure is expensive. I believe it might have something to do with changing speed without changing pitch.

Back