Advice needed for equipment

contrero

Hey guys, This is my first post so please bare with me. I've been looking into DJ-ing for quite some time now but my knowledge on equipment is pretty much at it's absolute basic. Before I begin explaining anything let me first point out that my budget is orbiting around $500

I'm working on producing hip-hop, Madlib would probably be an influence of mine. I've been playing around with an SP-404SX for a bit and would like to start sampling from vinyl. I've got no mixer or recording equipment and have no clue where to start looking, anything that simply gets the job done is just fine for me to start off.

I've asked around in a couple stores and they've pointed me towards the AT-LP 1240-USB and AT-LP 120-USB. I've mentioned to them how I intend on scratching and they recommend I avoid any turntable with a belt-drive.

Anyway, if anyone could point me towards the right direction in which turntable, mixer and recorder to get I would greatly appreciate it. I'm basically looking towards producing hip hop and trying to keep computers to a minimum. I wouldn't mind recording onto my laptop but, again, I'm no expert on the matter and thought an experienced opinion could help light my way.

Cheers in advance.

TL;DR: Need opinion on what turntable and mixer to get that can work well with an SP-404SX. Any other equipment worth mentioning would be greatly appreciated. Looking for functionality over comfort, I basically want what can get the job done over fancy features

P.S. would a pre-amped turntable effect anything?

Purchase turntable based on the music you hear to and how critical your ear is and also the features that you would like to have therefore its better to investigate everything before you purchase.

Grab some second hand technics mate theyll last forever and 99% of the time thats what youll be using when playing out

Back