The 10 Dj Commandments

THE 10 DJ COMMANDMENTS
1. Play Good Music
Nice and easy, right. The problem is that good music is very subjective. Your favorite song might sound like complete garbage to someone else. However, there is music that most people will like. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like classic Motown. Your job is to figure out what music they like. If you play music that your crowd likes all night, it’s pretty hard not to do a great job. If you play the music only you want to hear, you’ll be playing that same music alone in your room for the next couple of months wondering why you haven’t gotten any calls to dj more parties. Ok, so how do you know what they want to hear…..
2. Feel Your Crowd
Every party is going to be different. Every person has different musical tastes. You have to cater the music to your crowd. Your job is to make sure they have a good time. Again, some common sense and observations will help you. What kind of party is it? What is the age group? What’s going on in the party’s environment? You don’t want to play upbeat dance music while everyone’s eating. You will find out very quickly whether or not the crowd is liking what you’re playing. If people are dancing and having a good time, you’re doing a great job. If everyone is sitting down, it’s time to change directions and try something new.
3. Be Consistent
EVERY song you play is important. Getting people dancing is not enough, you have to keep them dancing. No one is going to dance all night, but you don’t want to ruin the flow by dropping a song that doesn’t fit into the current tempo or mood of the music you’re playing. Play the wrong song and you are guaranteed to evacuate the dancefloor. WHEN you play a song is as important as HOW you play a song.
4. Make Smooth Transitions
There are many different ways to bring in a new song. You can scratch, blend or drop a new song into the mix. You want to keep it interesting. You DO NOT want to cut a song off in the middle of a chorus or any part that the crowd is going nuts to. I’m not saying it can’t be done, it just runs a very high risk of killing the crowd’s energy. It takes effort to get a crowd going, so do yourself a favor and be sensible. A drop is good at grabbing everyone’s attention. If you want to switch it up, drop into the next song. If you’ve already got the crowd moving, keep the rhythm going by blending into the next song. Make sure your levels are right. The perfect drop or blend will not work if there is a major jump in volume. Preview the song in headphones and watch the levels on your mixer. Let the music flow.
5. Switch It Up
Play more than one type of music. Nobody only listens to one kind. Music is music.
6. Be Original
Take some chances and set yourself apart. Make your own unique introductions. Blend songs together that no one would expect. Beat juggle, scratch, slow records down or speed them up. Use your imagination.
7. Take Requests
This one is not so easy. Not all requests can be granted. But, a request can be a helping hand. Someone is telling you a song they like, so if you play it, they WILL be happy. If you DON’T play it, they will probably be resentful. It’s a gift and a curse. You might have someone suggest the perfect dance song to keep the party hype or you might get a request for an obscure underground hip hop record that would have people start saying their goodbyes. Use your own discretion. Be honest with someone if you’re not going to play their song but tell them why. If you don’t want to be honest, tell them you don’t have it.
8. Play Music They Don’t Know
After you’ve gotten a proper read on the crowd, you’ll have the opportunity of introducing them to some new music. A real dj will always do some teaching. EVERY person who loves music wants to hear some new good music. If you believe in a song, take a chance.
9. Trust Your Gut
You have to believe in yourself as a dj. Believe in your ability to do a great job. Believe in your musical tastes and knowledge. Know that you will be able to find that next song. Know that you will play the right music at the right time. If you suddenly get a urge to play a song, GO FOR IT! If it doesn’t work out, your next opportunity to make things right will be in about 3 minutes.
10. Have Fun
The last commandment is probably the most important. Djing a party can sometimes feel like defusing a bomb. You only have so much time to find the next song you’re going to play. Don’t sweat it. You’re gonna make mistakes. You’re gonna skip a record. You’re gonna clear a dance floor. I once played the SAME EXACT SONG at two different parties on consecutive nights. The first party went nuts, the second party disappeared. It happens. Sometimes the crowd throws you a curveball. Just keep going and enjoy it. Experience and practice are the only ways to become really great at djing. Practicing at home helps alot because you can learn some of these lessons in private instead of public. Regardless of the outcome, keep practicing and have a great time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have mixed views on a few things.

There's no mention of investing into equiptment, expect to invest into your art, or KNOW your equiptment.(to me... that's number one)

#7 is flawed. You never let anyone know you don't have a certain joint... you take a mental note... use stall tactics... but, never say,"I don't have it"... it makes you look unprepared. You not having a joint... will spread like a bad chain letter.

You mention nothing of using the MIC or voice projection developement... very useful if you want to introduce new material to the public.

Establishing security of your equiptment... take nothing for granted.

(I have to go...BRB)

MADMIXA the DJ, I appreciate the feedback. You've made some good points, I might revise it to include voice drops and I made the assumption of already knowing your equipment. Knowing your equipment is definetly crucial.

As far as #7, I always write down when someone requests a song I don't have. But, I DO let them know I don't have it. Otherwise, I'll get the same person coming up every ten minutes requesting the same song. How many times am I gonna say, "Yea, Ok I'll play it in a minute." That's just my opinion on the situation.

I checked out your Soundclick. I liked Infinity and www.whof***areyou?!

Thanks for taking the time to read and critique my article. I appreciate it.

The Invisible Man said:
MADMIXA the DJ, I appreciate the feedback. You've made some good points, I might revise it to include voice drops and I made the assumption of already knowing your equipment. Knowing your equipment is definetly crucial.

As far as #7, I always write down when someone requests a song I don't have. But, I DO let them know I don't have it. Otherwise, I'll get the same person coming up every ten minutes requesting the same song. How many times am I gonna say, "Yea, Ok I'll play it in a minute." That's just my opinion on the situation.

I checked out your Soundclick. I liked Infinity and www.whof***areyou?!

Thanks for taking the time to read and critique my article. I appreciate it.
You might want to think about being creative then, because the moment you let it be known you don't have something... it goes back to the floor, and to the people, as a negative. What you can do is say,"Yep, I have it... I'm going to work it in on the mix". That's also one of the reasons why you have someone to restrict direct access to the Dj(have a partner to take those request for you). I play to the crowd and not to an individual... if I don't have something... I'll play the next best thing... but, I'll never set myself up as being seen unprepared.
Not knowing how to manage the issues of 1 person... leads me to question how creative and a quick thinking you are... especially if you had to address a crowd with a mic.

What kind of DJ are you and how long have you been a DJ... because after reading #1... and you wrote, "I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like classic Motown."... that doesn't mean you can get away with playing it... bad assumption.

Let's have some constructive dialogue and really breakdown the details of this trade.

Last edited:
when someone asks for a song you don't have and you claim you'll play it later, they wait they wait they wait - you don't play it. yep. that doesn't leave a foul taste in their mouth.

telling someone you don't have a song does not necc mean you're un prepared. it depends more on the song. if it is a song that is somewhat hot and people know it and like it, and you don't have it, then of course you're un-prepared. but if it is some remote song then it's o.k to not have it. if you're continuously LYING to your clients about songs you don't have, the word will get around about you with time

when you tell people you don't have a song, usually they ask for another song. everyone goes home happy. granted u can't play everyone's songs but people appreciate honesty more than lies

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with above, i would prefer to say, sorry man, dont have that with me, or whatever. I usually find saying "haha, good choice but its not on me right now."

Otherwise you get too many people repeatedly coming up, to be fair, whatever works for you.

I'm going to sit back for a minute and see if anyone else... wants to place "taking request" as a "top 10 requirement"... to become a DJ.

There are some key issues that you cats fail to recognize... such as "when do you play these request?" or "what makes you think... playing these requests... will prevent the same person from hounding you all night?" or "What do you do if the song is outdated, terrible, out of theme with the event?"

I'm going to see how this "truthful" approach... is a deemed as a guarantee and how is it going to prevent a clique from walking out with half your crowd(I've seen that happen... as a result of saying "I don't have it").

There's a method to my madness...

People would ask me at gigs what music do you have and I would say everything but one song and when they ask me to play something I dont have I would say thats the 1 song I dont have.

Really though its much better to be honest then say I will play it in a little while. You arent going to be judged by not having a few requests as long as you keep the dance floor packed with the material you do have.

Would I consider taking requests to fall into the top 10? Im not going to tell anyone dont come up to the DJ booth and request anything thats for sure but I also dont think I would invite them up to make requests onless I was pretty sure I could fill any request made.

To add to what Madmixa said "You mention nothing of using the MIC or voice projection developement... very useful if you want to introduce new material to the public." Also add MC's or MC yourself. When I say MC I dont mean a rapper a mean a master of ceromonies intruduce records and get the crowd on the dance floor.

Last edited:
I have been djing for about 5 years. Mostly house parties. Recently, my friend (the MC) and I (the DJ) started a dj company as a way to make money instead of working a job busting our ass for someone else.

At house parties, I mainly play hiphop, r+b and reggaeton. At our jobs djing, it ranges from hip hop to classic rock to disco and anything in between.

The 10 DJ Commandments are my observations. If they work for you, great. If not, do what works for you.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and will edit my post to include MCing because it is a very important element.

Pure Hype Production said:
People would ask me at gigs what music do you have and I would say everything but one song and when they ask me to play something I dont have I would say thats the 1 song I dont have.

That's hilarious. haha

Maybe not a Commandment but definitely a help --when playing out (live) use a monitor.

Because of varying recording volumes on tracks, too many times I've witnessed cruddy sound because the dj didn't have a monitor (not always the dj's fault) in the PA. The monitor allows you to hear the same sound the crowd is hearing from the mains. A lot of the time it's difficult to gauge directly from headphones true mix level and true volume. A buddy in the crowd with a sound pressure level meter doesn't hurt either ;)

yo that is so true... I dj'd my 1st wedding last week and they requested Celine Dion that I didn't have... So instead saying that I had I told them that I didn't have it and they just simply gave me another song instead. But please believe I wrote the song down that they didn't have and I'm still looking for so that I can make a special mix for that person so that I can get another wedding to dj for!

but overall this is some great advice!!!

Back