Your Favorite African Performers

Favnuss

Dear fellow music lovers,
I'm new here so i would like to with a new post to share that i like.
The main idea of this post is to share and discuss African born musicians, which you think are worth attention.
One of my favorite is
Omawuni, really talented and interesting musician.
"Omawumi has revealed her talents in an early age. She was born in 1982 in Warri, sang in a church choir for a while, and became a law student at Ambrose Alli University after that. She even worked in her brothers’ law firm for a while. It was there that she became fluent both in English and French. In 2007 she entered a singing competition, won the hearts of million-plus auditorium and ended up in the 1st place. She is said to be very intelligent and she is also an avid reader. She was a head of the press club at a college, and also participated in a drama group. Her debut single saw the light of the day in September 2008. It was titled “In the Music”, and with the lyrics written in Pidgin English it became instantly popular. Omawumi even received several awards, as the Best Female Vocalist. “Wonderwoman”, her first album, was released in 2009. It featured some well-known African musicians, and sold 100,000 copies in one week. Some result for a debutante!"
Will be glad to read your opinions and suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The usual suspects-- Fela, King Sunny Ade, Alpha Blondy, Lucky Dube, Tikken Jah Fakoly, some Olatunji, Sierra Leone All-Stars, Salief Keita, Angelique Kidjo, Youssou N'Dour, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, all those bands on Paul Simon's "Graceland"...

GJ

PS-- They don't have tigers in Africa.

GJ

Last edited by a moderator:
The usual suspects-- Fela, King Sunny Ade, Alpha Blondy, Lucky Dube, Tikken Jah Fakoly, some Olatunji, Sierra Leone All-Stars, Salief Keita, Angelique Kidjo, Youssou N'Dour, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, all those bands on Paul Simon's "Graceland"...

GJ

PS-- They don't have tigers in Africa.

GJ

Yeah, Fela is probably my favorite, I heard some time ago they were going to make a movie about him but it seems like it ain't going to happen now. :(

Hey HT,

In the meantime, check out the stage show "Fela!" if it comes to your town.
Broadway production of his story with a musical review (great live band, too). While it might sound funny, his story and songs make an excellent musical.

Are you hip to Femi's (Fela's son) stuff?

GJ

Last edited:
I forgot Mahotele & Mahotili Queens (or however you spell that).

I just picked-up an LP compilation called "Straight to Soweto Volume 3;" it looks great but I haven't had a chance to actually listen to it yet. I only scanned some on-line samples at AllMusic, but it seems pretty promising. I also recently picked-up that Rough Guide CD compilation someone posted about at FP earlier last year-- "The Greatest African Music You've Never Heard."

GJ

re

Ive seen Seun. He puts on a great show and he had some of the africa 80 guys with him, which was cool. He is much more in his dad's style than Femi (that is not good or bad). Last month I caught Tinariwen and I highly advise anyone into west african music to go find them. They are more Mali dessert nomad meets Ali Farke Toure than afrobeat, but quite good.

Back