Are you a good talent scout ?

DjPolair

What do you look for in an artist ?

Are you able to identify that new cat going viral ?

Do you depend on likeability or are you ready to go out of your comfort zone and work with a complete ahole in order to boost your career ?

What do you look for in an artist ?

Are you able to identify that new cat going viral ?

Do you depend on likeability or are you ready to go out of your comfort zone and work with a complete ahole in order to boost your career ?

1) What I look for in other artists: They have a go getter mentality, they have to have done shows and are preparing to do more, they have to have music videos done, they have to have established connections with other producers, artists, graphic designers, photographers, etc, they must be patient, the must be willing to spend time and money to better themselves at their craft, they must be loyal, they must have talent (Im not a baby sitter), they have to believe in themselves and their ambitions as well as me and mine to the extent that can C themselves 'making it' and they have some form of trust in me, they must be able to communicate, they must have a vision for themselves and a plan of how they're gonna proceed, they must be willing to listen to advice (they don't always have to accept it but they must consider it), they must know SOMETHING about the music business and be willing to sign contracts, they must follow directions when being produced and add to ideas intended to push them in the direction they wanna go, the MUST, MUST (I can't stress this enough) have a good attitude because if they're hot headed or conceited and burn valuable bridges my name's gonna B attached to them, and most importantly the must have that 'it' factor. Basically, all I'm lookin' for in an artist are the things that give them a shot at longevity. There's very little point in me workin' with an artist who's guaranteed to take themselves off the map any given Sunday, I'd rather keep a hit worthy beat and the effort I'd put into another artist and put that towards me if it seems like a potential client has 'death wish' lol

2) Haven't been around long enough to confidently lay claim to that but I CAN say that several of the contemporary cats that I'm into blew up long after I got into 'em. My main claim to fame is that I can C the best version of nearly any artist I work with and I can bring the best out of them if given the chance, now, will a couple thousand people think they're dope like I do, hopefully. My part in controlling the publics opinion on an artist is infinitely small compared to the artist or the artists PR person or a long list of factors that have very little to nothing to do with me

3) There's plenny of cool people that I like that I will never work with. Likability is a MAJOR factor though... I'm a pretty chill dude with a good head on my shoulders and a long fuse, so, if you get ME heated and I come out of my cool, theres NO telling what you will do infront of people who matter more than me. If a cat pisses ME off, what the hell are they gonna do when they meet the less patient, less understanding label suits who have LESS time on their hands to put up with bullshit. That being said, I say what I say now after having learned my lesson over the last two years. I've tried working with some of the most egotistical, narrow minded, deceptive and incompetent muthxphukkxs but at the end of the day...... It was a huge waste of my time because even though they had a lil more pull than me, none had the heart, vision or ambition to go ANYWHERE much less take me

Last edited:
yea im pretty good, havent done it in awhile

Mac, 2 Chainz, Future, Travis Scott, Gunplay's revitalized solo career, Juicy J's revived career i all called.. i took meetings with A&Rs about these artists and they laughed at me. Now look

I would say I am as well. I.e. Rockie Fresh, Neako, Euroz, Los, Iggy Azalea are people I have been "scouting" for years before they were even known. On a pop level, Ellie Goulding, Jessie J. to name a few.

Back